April 18, 2024, 06:27:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sluggish MIDI controller response under a VST host  (Read 7410 times)

MartinMM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sluggish MIDI controller response under a VST host
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:54:02 pm »
Hi,

I've noticed a problem when trying to move the performance controlls of CS80V using MIDI knobs. When CS80V is running under a VST host, the graphical controlls don't keep up with the physical knob. They are quite fast in the mid-range but slow down in the extremes. For example, it's impossible to quickly open the brilliance at full. When I quickly turn the knob to the extreme, it takes the filter about 2 seconds to fully open.

It does not happen when in standalone mode. All virtual controlls react in sync with the physical ones. I tried a demo of MiniMgV and the problem with VST is there as well, while standalone version works perfectly allright. On the other hand I tried running demo of NI Pro53 as VST and there were no problems whatsoever.

As a result I'm using only the standalone instrument. Has anyone got any idea what's wrong with the VST's reaction times?

bg

• Beta-testers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 02:19:09 pm »
Wish I could help.  I run CS-80V as a VSTi under Digital Performer (Mac) and I don't have that problem.  CC response seems instant.  What is your host?

MartinMM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:09:17 pm »
I use freeware Cantabile Lite 1.2. I tried demos of Ableton Live 6 and Fruity Loops and the problem seems to be host independent.

MartinMM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 10:27:27 pm »
Anyway, I suspect it is somehow connected with my asio drivers or cheap usb MIDI interface. I use Sound Blaster Audigy 2 OEM sound card that may be a bit weak for vst purposes.

On the other hand, in standalone CS80V I'm getting comfortable latency of 5 ms with all features of synthesis enabled all the time and all controls working perfectly. For effects I use the sound card's onboard reverb and delay that are quite deeply programmable and they don't steal the CPU power from the synthesizer ;-).

MartinMM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:21:56 pm »
I gave it a try and launched CS80V under the demo of Fruity Loops 6. Under this host, the original MIDI learn function of the CS80V doesn't work and I had to assign my physical controllers independently within the FL6 host. To my surprise, all the sliders worked perfectly on a VST CS80V as they would in standalone version.

This leads me to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the Arturia VST version regarding real time midi control via native MIDI learn function. This bug, creating noticeable lag of the virtual controls close to the extremes, is present in all Arturia products and I would like to draw the developers' attention to this issue.

Regards,
MartinMM

MartinMM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 05:37:22 pm »
Upon further investigation of the problem, I have found that the slow downs of the sliders occur only in vst when using Arturia's CTRL+"control" MIDI learn function.

It can be avoided by using the host's controller assign functions for each slider. All controls assigned in this way work perfectly in CS80V vst plugin.

MarkEdmonds

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 01:55:50 am »
I am getting this too, for example with a volume pedal sending out cc7. The output control on the CS80 is definitely slow to react and catch up with where the pedal is.

This is happening within Nuendo3, the midi interface is Novation and the controller is Yamaha. I don't think this is anything to do with midi interfaces whether Creative or not. THis is surely a plugin problem and the only plugin I've ever seen it in.

Mark

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines