March 28, 2024, 05:22:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Does anyone own both the Mini and Microbrute?  (Read 3971 times)

inkuplex

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Does anyone own both the Mini and Microbrute?
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:17 am »
If so what do you think of having both? Is it redundant? Are you getting pretty much the same sound but with added features or is it it's own entity? I want to get into modulars and I feel like the Micro might be a nice baby step in that direction. I already have a Mini on the way but maybe in the future when I have a little more income I might come around looking in the Micro's direction.

illintechnology

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • JonnyX and the Groadies web-blag
Re: Does anyone own both the Mini and Microbrute?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:40:30 am »
I've had both for about a week now, but my mini (got it about a year ago) is at my band's studio and my micro is here at home so I haven't had a chance to introduce them yet.  I think they'll be great together.  There are a couple videos on YouTube featuring a pairing of a mini and a micro to great effect.
-illintechnology

JX:ATG
groadudes.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/groadies
@jx_atg

inkuplex

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:30 am »
I've seen the videos of the duo but as someone not familiar with either's character/timbres it's hard for me to distinguish what's doing what. Thankfully we have Marc Doty.

rove

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:58 am »
I have both and I don't feel that it is redundant... The sequencer on the micro is great, but the arp on the mini is also great.  They each have a couple of features the other doesn't which, for me, inspires different uses. they are both capable of such a wide range of sounds its easy to coax totally different patches out of the pair, especially when you start fooling with the cv inputs.

Mmarsh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:01 pm »
I have both and they are definitely not redundant for me.  I use the Micro's VCO as the Ext OUT of the Mini which gives it two oscillators (or vice versa) (gates and cv's hooked up appropriately between the two).  The super nice thing is that the Subs are different on the two synths and you can actually get four notes (Micro sub on fifth, Mini sub simply on). One controls the other depending on if I want arpeggiation or sequencing. Pretty great tones this way...

flux302

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »
I have both and keep them both cv together with my modular. They are both actually pretty different while staying related.  VCO is different the sub VCO is different the resonance is different.  All together I get a more subtle refined sound from the micro.  Check my YouTube channel I show them together through a scope and talk about the differences.  YouTube.Com/flux302

devilsclub

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 01:04:15 am »
I own both. I don't see ever getting rid of either one. The MicroBrute is really useful as a multi-synth expansion module. I use the MicroBrute Matrix on top to patch Mg, Doepfer and others. Stackable
cables are really useful for this kind of play. you can find some here: http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/stackcable/ <== (Hopefully no one will get angry with the linkage) They aren't cheap,
but they are great to have around for many purposes. Buying a grip of stackable cables is like getting a whole table full of synth gear for a hundred or less bucks. Anyhow, I haven't connected either
Brutes to a DAW or other software based system. I probably won't. I wanted something small, power packed and versatile and both Brutes are all of those things and much more. My whole house would
be a modular, but these guys are portable and easy to integrate with other gear. What else could one ask for?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines