April 18, 2024, 01:56:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: High Pass Question  (Read 2004 times)

darkflow

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Soundcloud
High Pass Question
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:07 am »
First off, New poster here, loving the microbrute so far. its my first ANALOG synth  ;D

After playing around for a couple days, I decided to follow along in the manual... Got the basic patch set up. I get to this section and the behavior of the brute doesn't match the manual's description:

"High Pass Filtering
With the CUTOFF knob still all the way counter clockwise, move the MODE SWITCH to
HP; You should now hear the sound come back.
This changes the filter to a High Pass Filter. Just as the name implies, it allows the
HIGH frequencies to pass though. With the knob in the full counter clockwise
position, the filter is allowing all frequencies above that setting to pass through it.

Now press a key and try turning the knob clockwise and listen to the result. You will
hear the sound get thinner and thinner sounding until it goes away completely at
the top of the range."

When I turn the cutoff all the way up when the filter is set to HP, it is still very much audible, though mosquito-like in sound. It does not completely go away like the manual states. Low pass, however, completely goes away when the knob is turned all the way down, as described in manual.

So what is incorrect, my filters cutoff or the manual?

Edit: I also noticed that when set to LP, the sound is not audible at all for the first 1/3 of the cutoff range. Also, the HP seems ineffective for this first 1/3 of the range as well. This makes me think the potentiometer for the cutoff may be defective on my model?? BP seems to function properly though...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:54:57 am by darkflow »
soundcloud.com/timcapelle

darkflow

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Soundcloud
Re: High Pass Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:11:54 am »
Found my answer..

By design the HP filter does not completely close, only the LP does.
soundcloud.com/timcapelle

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines