March 19, 2024, 09:02:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Kickdrums using GLIDE  (Read 5963 times)

zmb

Kickdrums using GLIDE
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:14:18 am »
I found by accident a cool way to make TR-909 sounding kickdrums using the glide function. It sounds really obvious but I didn't find any mention of it on google.

There are many variations on the settings you can use (see below for an example) but I guess just set it like you would if you were gonna make a bass drum patch (no attack, short release/decay, sine wave sub osc with a little noise or other waveforms maybe, low- or band-pass at a low setting enveloped for quick release, etc.).

The main thing is:
1. Set glide time to something fairly short, 10 o clock or less (unless you want gabber drums  :) )
2. Play a really high note
3. Play a fairly low note, something in the " -1 " octave range.

The portamento causes a fast drop in pitch, giving you that THUMP the 909 is famous for. I played around with the settings for like 2 hours and I'm sure I could still find some other variations. If you mess with the resonance and brute factor you can get more of a THWACK wooden sound, you can lengthen the decay, try band-pass vs low-pass filter at various cutoffs and ENV AMT settings, etc.

It's not useful for live instrumentation, only really for harvesting samples, since you have to play a high note then low note. Here's a jam showing off some of the kicks I managed to get:

https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/mb-kickdrum-test/s-qa0m0

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:16:04 am by zmb »

stevism

• Beta-testers
Re: Kickdrums using GLIDE
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:18:42 am »
awesome thinking! gonna have to try this one out.

almost like a basic env->pitch

zmb

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:46:04 am »
awesome thinking! gonna have to try this one out.

almost like a basic env->pitch
thanks! Yeah it's that exactly, a little work-around for the lack of a pitch envelope on the MB. I bet there's a similar way to achieve a water-droplet sound like "Bloinp" I'll have to try some other stuff in this vein.

eke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:08:03 pm »
Nice! TX for sharing

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines