March 28, 2024, 10:45:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KEYBED - BROKEN KEYS  (Read 59009 times)

Frederic Brun

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.arturia.com
KEYBED - BROKEN KEYS
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »
Dear MiniBrute users,

We are receiving a growing number of complains related to the MiniBrute keybed and we have decided to tackle this problem.

In the early days of this production we already encountered a problem related to the MiniBrute keybed. The Metal plates, which are glued to the underside of the keys were prone to falling off. This situation was addressed quite quickly at the factory and we were able to repair or exchange faulty units already on the market.

Recently a new problem has appeared. The keys themselves seem to be more fragile and can sometime break. We have ran specific tests on the latest production batch and have, indeed, found that a large number of keybeds are not passing the tests successfully.

We suspect different potential causes. One could be due to the quality of the plastic that we use (a switch to recycled plastic by our supplier, for example), another could be related to clogging of the mold, etc.

At this point we are still investigating the root cause and evaluating our options. We will determine a cause of action and communicat updates about this situation soon. But you should already know that 1/ we have switched to a new supplier for the keybed and from now on, every MiniBrute unit will be shipping with a keybed of higher quality. We are also improving the test procedure at the factory on the keybed parts. 2/ As a customer, you should be assured that we will, with the help of our distributors, replace or repair MiniBrute units with broken keys.

We apologize for this problem. The truth also is that the defective rate of MiniBrute units is still bellow 1,5%. This includes every problem on every machine shipped since the launch of this product. But certainly we don't want this rate to grow and we are committed to maintaining quality. We also understand the frustration of a musician who bought a MiniBrute and ends up with a broken key. Again we are sorry and will address this issue.

Frederic Brun
(founder and ceo)

svmcwd

• https://steppenwolfvonmensch.bandcamp.com/
Re: KEYBED - BROKEN KEYS
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:17:25 am »
Good news! and bad for me since i have been probably too early - will it be possible to send a previously built Minibrute in just for an exchange to be sure to have the better quality, also if nothing is broken yet? If so that would be awesome, just to avoid trouble! ;)

Also, is irregular response of the aftertouch and the velocity part of the fix?

Cheers
Veganism rules.

Shot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:05:10 pm »
Thank you for acknowledging this problem mr. Brun!

What would be the procedure for those of us who have a faulty keybed?
Will there be an email address where we should contact you to photo-document our broken keybed, or posting on this forum is sufficient?
Will you replace entire unit or just send a new keyboard part?
(I don't have a problem with replacing keyboard by myself, but others are not so skillful with screwdriver I guess)

:)

Luka Tralić
Zagreb, Croatia

bruitator

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:10:36 pm »
Mr Brun,

Do you have the serial numbers of the units affected by this problem ?
I bought mine in January 2013 serial 9310.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:18:09 pm »
Hello Mr Brun,

Do we have an official statement that the problem has now been resolved and that new units are being shipped. And if not, when this is likely to happen. I have had two units in a row with this problem and I need to have my mind put at ease if I am to try to purchase a 3rd unit.

Please advise

Many thanks
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Sunil

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:35:11 am »
I'd just like to know how to fix this issue and get on with my projects. I bought this specifically for the form factor and to double as a midi keyboard. Returning is not an option right now.
Someone please advise

Thanks

stefk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:04:09 pm »
I have just purchased one today, opened the box and found the C-key to be broken/lifted, and scoured the forums and comments her on the web site, and feel VERY
disappointed and flat and let down by Arturia. I have read that they have acknowledged that there was an issue. I have read that they are looking to remedy the issue. I have not read (yet) anywhere in the thread to what the procedure is to get these  broken models resolved? damn!! I hope there was no 'recycle plastic' used on the other portions of the keyboard, the pots, etc

>:(

BillCosby

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:04:18 pm »
I have just purchased one today, opened the box and found the C-key to be broken/lifted, and scoured the forums and comments her on the web site, and feel VERY
disappointed and flat and let down by Arturia. I have read that they have acknowledged that there was an issue. I have read that they are looking to remedy the issue. I have not read (yet) anywhere in the thread to what the procedure is to get these  broken models resolved? damn!! I hope there was no 'recycle plastic' used on the other portions of the keyboard, the pots, etc

>:(

I feel your pain. I bought one of these from a seller on eBay. It came with the C key broken and the piece of plastic stuck underneath and unplayable. I sent it back and he sent a new one. This had the same problem...with two additional keys lifted! Ack. So, I decided to buy it from a store. It cost a bit more, but at least I would have the satisfaction. Anyway, ordered it from Guitar Center, picked it up, opened it, and BLAMMO three lifted keys! Frustrating. I just brought it home to play with anyway, 'cause I figure going 3 for 3 isn't a fluke. As long as they keys work, I can still get stuff done. It sucks, though, as I spent $500 for a new keyboard and it looks like crap. I'm glad I Googled this issue this morning. I'll definitely be following this thread to see how I can get this problem solved.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 01:50:23 pm »
Thank you for this update Frederic

Does this then mean that you will be sending affected customers a replacement keyboard? By admission, although some customers may not have this issue now, they may experience the issue later down the line.

Personally, I went through 3 units to get a good mini brute. In fact, I'm now using a Doepfer PSU as I cannot rely on the PSU shipped with the unit (Cheaper Chinese PSU)

Frederic , I'm sure a free Beatstep shipped to all people affected with these issues would appease the situation. After all, we love using your products, but when it gets in the way of our productivity it's not worth the hassle.

Best
Stuart   
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

inkuplex

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 05:40:17 am »
Frederic , I'm sure a free Beatstep shipped to all people affected with these issues would appease the situation. After all, we love using your products, but when it gets in the way of our productivity it's not worth the hassle.

LOL ::)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:52:38 am »
Fair enough, right?
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Varthdader

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »
I will post my question here in the hopes I get an answer: do we have a date to ship replacement keybeds?

Revmex

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 09:03:18 am »
I'll be honest about something. I recently purchased a minibrute as an "as is" product so I won't try to be slick on warranty. This was a customer return due to broken key issue. I am more that happy to pay for the broken pieces replacement, I just hope they're reasonably priced. Who can I email to order? I didn't want to open a ticket because I'm thinking that registering a product gives the impression that it is new.
Any sales email or contact is appreciated. I look forward to enjoying my minibrute.

updated to add: This is the black keybed part. There are 5 that are broken. One was initially then 4 more broke. They seem to latch to a metal plate under the piano and insert into a piano key preventing it from sticking upwards.

-Rev
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:18:29 pm by Revmex »

dyears

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:30 am »
I'm new to using synths and picked up a Minibrute from Craigslist a few months ago, I've been loving it so far, I'm really happy with it.
Recently the middle C key bumper broke and the key would stay raised about a half inch.
First, I fished the broken plastic bit out from under the key with tweezers.
Removing the keybed was surprisingly easy, simply remove the the larger screws from the back plate.
I removed the key (via the spring and lifting very gently, don't force it) and simply superglued the plastic bit back on, so far so good.
I realize not everyone is going to do this and I wouldn't suggest doing it if your Minibrute is under warranty, but it really was quite easy.

BillCosby

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »

I realize not everyone is going to do this and I wouldn't suggest doing it if your Minibrute is under warranty, but it really was quite easy.

I'm very glad that it is easy, as I may have to fix mine because I don't think the new keybeds will ever ship. However, the bigger issue is buying NEW units that come broken. Dropping $500 on something that isn't in mint condition is a terrible thing and shouldn't be addressed with "We are sorry. Open up the machine and glue them," as seems to be the company's stance.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines