April 19, 2024, 12:08:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI In Issue (Probably User Error)  (Read 3776 times)

lostnthesound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI In Issue (Probably User Error)
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:57:33 pm »
I consider myself quite tech saavy so I'm a bit embarrassed to even post this question, but here goes...

I'm unable to get any sound emitted from the MicroBrute when connecting my Novation SL49 MK2 (Port 1, Midi Out) to the MicroBrute (Midi In). I've been able to successfully connect the SL49 to my old Virus B desktop module as well as my Virus TI Snow without any problem or additional setup/settings edits.

The MicroBrute itself works perfectly, I simply want to use the keys from my SL49.

I'm sure I'm overthinking things and the answer is right in front of me, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated (and humbling lol).

BTW, my MicroBrute was just updated yesterday with the firmware/connection software (Mac OSX - Mavericks). All other specs with regards to my setup can be found in my sig.

Cheers.
MacBook Pro (Late 2012)  i7, Ivy Bridge 16GB RAM + SSD | Duet 2 (1st Gen), Novation SL MK2 | Logic X, Ableton 9 Suite | Virus TI Snow, MicroBrute

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
Re: MIDI In Issue (Probably User Error)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:56:05 am »
you should check in the Connection software, that the Input midi channel is set to All, or the specific channel on which your SL49 is sending.
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

lostnthesound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:26:32 pm »
Hi Bruno,

Thank you kindly for the reply. Oddly enough, once I restarted Logic X, everything started working just fine. Though I did double check all of my port/channel/send/receive settings within each respective device's prefs and they were all good.

Here's where things get slightly odd (again, probably user error).

When connecting MicroBrute (MB) via External MIDI channel (Logic X), I'm able to play the keys of both MB and SL49 controlling the MB. For whatever reason, Logic X doesn't give me the option to record a single input when using the External MIDI channel, only a stereo input which means any audio recorded from the MB to Logic records as a Left channel. Aside from the strange input recording limitation (which I'm sure is something with the Logic side of things), I'm able to record MIDI, audio and utilize MicroBrute's sequencer with no issue. This leads me to the following...

To rectify the above problem, I created a standard audio channel and MIDI channel (MIDI for notes, audio channel for monitoring/recording). What I noticed is that after pressing record within Logic and trying to play the MB's sequencer, there is no audio or MIDI occurring, it's as if the MB freezes. Yet when I stop recording, the sequencer (and MIDI) works again. Even stranger–if I switch between the audio and MIDI channels repeatedly, everything starts working again.

Is it possible that there is some type of communication/data conflict because I'm using the USB of both the MB, the SL49 and the MIDI Out from SL49 to MIDI In of MB?

Again, this is nothing major and I can certainly work around this little bump, so no rush with regarding to responding to my minor problem. I am still able to thoroughly enjoy this little beast!

Cheers.
MacBook Pro (Late 2012)  i7, Ivy Bridge 16GB RAM + SSD | Duet 2 (1st Gen), Novation SL MK2 | Logic X, Ableton 9 Suite | Virus TI Snow, MicroBrute

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »
it sound like you have an unexpected Midi loop somewhere.
You should check you midi settings and setup
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines