March 28, 2024, 02:23:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: the 'questions about the microbrute' thread  (Read 5855 times)

bartleby

the 'questions about the microbrute' thread
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:33:56 am »
ok, this belongs in the microbrute forums, not the minibrute forums. but at this point, there are no microbrute forums.
so i suggest we post our questions about arturia's latest analog monosynth here and the admin move it, once the new forums have been created.

so here we go: first of all, congratulations! the micro looks really cute and there are a lot of things about it that seem to make it a very attractive product - the sequencer with 8 memory slots and the patch bay look really cool! i'm sure this is going to be a bestseller.

but still, there are also some strange things and open questions people are wondering about, among them:

- no midi out?!? what were you thinking? such a neat little kb with a relatively powerful sequencer, and we are not supposed to sequence other midi gear with it?

- is the micro's midi-usb port at least usb midi class compliant? i.e. will the microbrute connect to an ipad via usb as a midi device? (the minibrute doesn't, which can be annoying but isn't terrible, because unlike the micro, the mini has both midi in and out) given it's tiny form factor, the micro and an ipad could make ideal partners - if there can be a full, bi-directionial midi i/o connection between them.

- in the sequencer section of the manual, there is no mention of how to tie notes. how come? does the microbrute only support single notes and rests, not tied or legato notes? will this come with a fw update?

[edit: lots of typos - an ipad is much better suited for making music than for typing :)]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:03:50 am by bartleby »

bartleby

Re: the 'questions about the microbrute' thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »
am i really the only person here who's interested in the microbrute?  ???

tomoe97

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:50:08 pm »
According to the Audiofanzine review: the step sequencer notes "can be transmitted via CV/Gate (which allows us to control an external analog synth) or USB (for the MIDI Out)." That's good news!

jimtheswede

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:59:24 pm »
I was hoping Arturia would do an "expander" module for the MiniBrute, w/o the minikeys.  I swore to myself I would never buy another synth with minikeys, but I may change my mind with the Microbrute.  The more I read about it, the more I like it, but I just don't have room for adding another "keyboard" - especially with minikeys!  Hopefully they are working on a semi-modular!

stevism

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:09:32 pm »
honestly it's so small though I don't think it's an issue.

BUT construction looks similar to minibrute and I know there were people who got rid of the keybed easily on them...so for this price i wouldn't feel bad about butchering it.

T3k

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »
I wonder if you could fit the Micro's PCB inside the Mini for a 24db 2-osc upgrade?
Drill a couple of holes for a few extra knobs, solder the relevant points...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:30:58 am by T3k »

svmcwd

• https://steppenwolfvonmensch.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:02:00 am »
I'm glad about the way the microbrute is featured. Too bad though the sinewave is gone entirely, limits it in some ways. Could it be recreated when mixing the waveforms maybe?

I love how small it is and even that it has mini keys, it means that one can play within the range of two octaves a lot easier than on a standard keyboard, and maybe even faster! :)

Now let's just pray it will be free of "design flaws", as poorly adjusted controls/printing get called here.
Veganism rules.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines