April 16, 2024, 06:30:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Guitarist for 8 years, looking to get my first synthesizer  (Read 2278 times)

Stonelands

Guitarist for 8 years, looking to get my first synthesizer
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:18:01 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm a 22 year old male from New Zealand and have been playing guitar for just over 8 years. Here is my Last FM account if you want an idea of what I listen to: http://www.last.fm/user/KaliBhakta?utm_source=last.fm&utm_medium=application&utm_campaign=last.fm_desktop_application&utm_content=2.1.33&utm_term=WIN I've recently become interested in synthesizers and the sonic possibilities that they contain. I'm thinking of making my first synthesizer an Arturia Minibrute based off the demos I've heard. I like a lot of the sounds it can produce and I think it would be a good starting point.

The fact that it is Monophonic is my only real concern and I have also considered a Prophet 08 but that would require me having to save up a lot more money and I think that maybe I'd be better off just getting the Minibrute for now, given how much I like the demos of it anyway.

I'd also like to know if there are any quality control issues with the Minibrute?

Give your thoughts if you have the time, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
William.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
Re: Guitarist for 8 years, looking to get my first synthesizer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:38:22 pm »
Don't think of the monophonic aspect as much of a limitation.  If you really want poly stuff, you can layer multiple recordings.

But in exchange for monophony, you get a powerful analog synth engine; it feels natural, the range of basic controls that all contribute to the final more complex output.  It really feels like an instrument, with the knob-per-function controls mostly directly interfacing to the sound generating circuitry inside.  There's no presets or digital control of the parameters of the synth, like there may be on others, but that's not the point.  You learn your way around this instrument as you would any other.  With practice and experience, you can dial in a sound you're imagining in your head not too much slower than it would take to load a preset.

As for quality control, you'll see probably most of the posts on this forum noting flaws or defects.  But really, who is going to post whenever their minibrute is working perfectly?  Of course you're going to see many problems on the forums, that's what they're for, getting community help on issues.  But that doesn't mean the majority of minibrutes have these issues.  (a lot of the problems are just due to loose cables inside the machine, a simple repair)
I like the build quality of the MB.  It's not Mackie mixer rock solid, but it's not flimsy.  I'm careful with it, as one should be with any gear, but I'm not worried about it breaking on me.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines