March 28, 2024, 09:15:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Changing transmit channel of keyboard  (Read 18238 times)

Yetifoot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Changing transmit channel of keyboard
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:09:51 am »
I would like to use my Keylab 61 to control a rack mount synth for live performances but I'm beginning to think I have made a mistake in buying the Keylab.

I need to be able to change the channel that midi data is sent on when playing the keyboard. To change the global midi channel the manual (section 5.2) says to go to edit mode then press "MIDI Ch." and select the midi channel using the "Value" knob. These actions however have no effect on which channel is transmitted by the keybed. I have found that I can choose edit and then "Global", select the parameter "Part1 Ch" and then change the value to 02, press down on the Value encoder and the board will transmit on channel 2. This is unusable in a live performance. Is there an easier way to do this? Am I doing something wrong? Please help!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:03:44 am by Yetifoot »

Yetifoot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Changing transmit channel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:21:57 am »
Also the manual says that there is a pull down menu in the upper right corner of MIDI Control Center. It shows a picture of it as well. In the version I am using (downloaded the latest from Arturia.com this week) there is no pull down list and no way to store to a preset that I can see.

I am using the latest Windows version.

Edit: I noticed that in the screenshot Control Center is not communicating with the Keylab. I have verified that I see the same screen when the Keylab is recognized.

Edit again: I see now that this is a known issue acknowledged by Arturia personnel back in August of this year: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=13679.msg36652#msg36652
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:43:23 am by Yetifoot »

Yetifoot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Changing transmit channel of keyboard
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 05:22:14 am »
After three days working with this thing I think I have a solution so I will post it for anyone else trying to do the same thing.

First let me explain what I am trying to accomplish and a limitation of the solution that I found. I set up splits and voice changes on a per song basis in my Motif RackXS using Multis. Each song has a Multi. If I transmit on channel one the voices that receive on channel one are playable. If a song calls for different voices in different sections I set those up on a different receive channel and change my transmit channel. That way I can switch between voices/splits even while sustaining a note played on the previously selected channel. The limitation I have found is that the Arturia does not consistently save the midi channel for the 2nd part if you set up splits in your Keylab presets. Fortunately I do all of my splits on the synth itself so it's not a problem for me.

The solution for me is to set up presets 1 - 10 to use different channels and configure the buttons so that pressing a snapshot button immediately switches to the same numbered preset.

To be specific here are the steps I took:

1.  Start in Midi Control Center (MCC)
2.  Select "Snapshots" button 1
3.  In the "Selected Control Parameters" section Change the mode to "Keyboard Preset"
4.  Change "CC Number" to "1 - Modulation Wheel" (The CC number is the preset number, you can ignore the description)
5.  Change the "Channel" parameter to "Panel" to keep the Keylab from sending Modwheel changes to your synth
6.  Repeat steps 2 - 5 for the other 9 snapshot buttons using the correct CC/Preset number for each
7.  Press "Send to Keyboard" ...to send to the keyboard
8.  On the Keylab (not in MMC) press "Edit" and then "Global"
9.  Use the "Parameter" encoder to switch to the parameter "Part1 CH"
10. Use the value encoder to change the value to "01"
11. Press the "Store" Button
12. Use the "Value" encoder to select preset 01 (I am using presets 1 - 10, they will map to the knobs and channels better than using 0 - 9)
13. Press down on the "Value" encoder to store the preset and again to confirm the store
14. Repeat steps 8 - 13 for each "Snapshot" button using the corresponding values (For button 2 I set Part1 CH to 2 and store in preset 2 etc.)

After storing presets 1 - 10 I can pull up a multi on my Rack XS and switch channels while playing by pressing any of the Snapshot buttons. :)

As you can probably see using this method I am limited to transmitting on only 10 of the 16 midi channels but that will not be a problem for me.

I am now thinking I will probably keep the Keylab even though there are a couple of keys that bottom out against metal under the keybed with a loud plastic on metal click even when I'm not playing forcefully. This thing has some glaring flaws but there are also many things I like about it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:30:20 am by Yetifoot »

Yetifoot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:54:07 am »
To update, in my post above I was definitely doing it the hard way. All of those parameters are available in MCC.

Also, most of you probably know this but for anyone who doesn't, the files that MCC saves are XML files that can be edited in a text editor and then loaded into MCC and sent to the board. This makes some editing tasks very quick and easy. I haven't determined what all of the nodes are but the files are reasonable in size and it shouldn't be too hard to track down any parameters that you want to edit.

keston

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 04:31:27 am »
Congratulations on solving this. I am trying to do exactly the same thing, but not making any progress. I think the interface on the MIDI Control Center has changed significantly since 2013. Seems like it should be such as easy thing... If you have any updates I'd love to know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:36:18 am by keston »

shawnsBrain66

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:37 am »
thanks for posting this!!

I have 2 rack keyboards, a Motif Rack XS and a Roland Integra-7. I'm trying to figure out how to send patch changes to both keyboards with one snap button, but I think that's impossible. I'm also trying to figure out how to set the volume to 0 (off) on one keyboard or the other with a snap button so that I can remotely mute one keyboard if I wish.

ftrobaugh

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 05:19:47 am »
Did you ever solve this problem? You can create a split keyboard and send the upper and lower halves on different midi channels.  You create a split using the keyboard buttons by selecting Edit/Global, then use the Parameter Knob to select the various options.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines