March 19, 2024, 08:13:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: it is time for a new update!!!  (Read 18423 times)

u.n.i.t.e.d

Re: it is time for a new update!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:32 pm »
an Elka Synthex Osc & Filter would also be great

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »
I must say there's one fix which IMO should be the very highest priority. Well, it does not bother us all, only Origin Keyboard users: midi-functionality. It receives MIDI just fine, but you cannot use it as motherkeyboard. This is a known issue, just read my conversation with Phillippe here: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=13533.msg35802#msg35802

Compared to other wishes here (new modules and features) this is something Arturia cannot leave unfixed. If they sell nealy 3000 euros product with all those MIDI functions, these must work. I think I am not asking too much, right? In fact I have had synths and keyboards since 80s and this is the very first one which do not send midi correctly.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this issue and Origin connection will be updated soon. Other things, like all those modules or templates etc., will make me happy too if they are available some day. But first things first.

bigbrass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »

ELKA Synthex uses DCO's... Nothing special there. I have to check the schematics, but if I remember correctly the timing pulses that reset the waveforms are all derived from a common clock, which means the oscillators are at the same phase with one another. The filters are Curtis CEM3320 chips, the same ones used in later revision Prophet 5's. I think porting the original rev1/rev2 Prophet 5 filter that's SSM2040 chip based is much more realistic, since Arturia has already developed code for it for their ProphetV software.
BTW, big part of Synthex's sound is its lush analog chorus circuit.

As JacksonP has mentioned before, fixing  Origin connection and preset management should be the top priority. I'd like to be able to change/delete factory presets too. I find many of them useless.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
I think porting the original rev1/rev2 Prophet 5 filter that's SSM2040 chip based is much more realistic, since Arturia has already developed code for it for their ProphetV software.

Really?? ProphetV uses the SSM2040 filter model?

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 10:43:17 pm »
The TAE analong modeling algorithm could stand a tweak too.  Most of the time, adding it just cuts polyphony, and can even sound a little worse.

Hey, at least us Origin owners are the ONLY ones who actually have a TAE knob! ;D

Could you make it go to 11?  ;D

Cord

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 06:45:40 pm »
In all defense, Arturia at least presented us with a bug free version with lots of more functionality as there was when I bought my unit. It is an inspiring instrument and you can ask yourself, even when Arturia would leave it in the current state, why it is not more successful?

Anyway, just look at Waldorf and the state they leave their Blofeld in for what now, 2 years in beta?? Arturia at least fixed everything before moving on. A great thanks to them.

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:11 pm »
OK, So I have a "classic". Ill live with that then and just be happy with it.

noisetheorem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 05:25:50 am »
We own an abandoned product.  It's our fault for buying, and we all have been duped. 

I will never buy another Arturia product ever again. I say that with all the love in the world for the Origin and what it could have been.

noisetheorem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 05:39:53 am »
And bug free? Hardly.  I cannot use the tonewheel oscillator models on my unit.  Any patch I try to add that too causes the DSP to stop producing audio.  It will also refuse to load a new patch after this happens and I have to power cycle the unit in order to get it to do anything.  I posted hear and e-mailed Arturia about it and got no reply...

So pardon my skepticism that we will ever see anything else from them.  They got in over their heads with the Origin, I think, and that is why they now focus on making little toys that don't have the software components.

Philippe

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 01:30:08 pm »
And bug free? Hardly.  I cannot use the tonewheel oscillator models on my unit.  Any patch I try to add that too causes the DSP to stop producing audio.  It will also refuse to load a new patch after this happens and I have to power cycle the unit in order to get it to do anything.  I posted hear and e-mailed Arturia about it and got no reply...

I've never heard anything about this bug. I've just tried here and it works. Could you elaborate of what you're doing when this crash occurs?

So pardon my skepticism that we will ever see anything else from them.  They got in over their heads with the Origin, I think, and that is why they now focus on making little toys that don't have the software components.

Not true. I am currently working on a stand alone hardware that will have inside - believe me - a lot of "software components".

It is however true that when we started the Origin project 7 years ago, Arturia was not prepared to manage such a complicate development. Things have changed since then. We've learned a lot by doing Origin, and particularly from our errors. Hopefully you'll see that in the coming years.
Origin Lead  Developer

noisetheorem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:48 pm »
The bug is just plain weird, and it gets weirder the more that I play with it.

What I have found, is that if I try to add a ToneWheel oscillator to a patch, the patch stops producing any sound and I cannot load a different patch after this happens.  What is really exceptionally weird is this ONLY happens (or so it seams) if I am editing patch slot 422 or 423.  I found out last night that patch 424 works fine.  It has something to do with those patch slots, and I have never seen anything like that before in 20 years of using synthesizers!

here is what I do: 
1.  Go to slot 422 and select 'create new' and then select the organ template.  At this point, I can play the sound.
2.  Edit the patch by adding a second tonewheel or other oscillator.  The sound wills top working.
3.  exit the patch (doesn't matter if I save it) and go to load another patch.  The Origin will not let me select any patch. If I go back to edit, I will see that it still has that same patch loaded in the background.  The only way to recover is to reset the the origin.   If I saved the bad patch, then it will reload the same patch when it boots up, only now I can select another patch but the Origin will make no sound.  I have to reset again.   If I didnt save the patch, it reloads an empty patch and everything is fine.

It's really weird.  I ran into it some months ago and reported it and never heard anything back.   It seemed to go away (I didnt' make the connection to the patch slot number).  I started a new album project recently, and started with a clean Origin again and now that I have gotten to patch sot 422, it happens again.  I use the tonewheel a lot because it is *excellent* for creating odd additive drones and as an FM modulator. 

I absolutely love the sound of the Origin, but it feels less like a modular and more like VA construction set.  It's got such a great UI and control interface, the odd limitations in the sound engine are somewhat heartbreaking. 

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:16 pm »
i can not reproduce this

goldenanalog

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 06:18:02 am »
Philippe, point blank:

Is the Origin a dead product?

If you are working on development of say: an Origin II, a simple question would be: Would you expect high$$$ synthesizer buyers to trust you after the number of issues that plagued the Origin, and the length of time that it has taken to properly address them, as well as implement promised features?

The real problem I'm afraid has been one of the need for very-long-term committed resources (human and otherwise) to support said product; much which seems to have evaporated.

You yourself don't seem to have been around much lately, Philippe.

Or if you have, you've been largely silent. And please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - we're adults, here.

And what about oldirtyPastor? Are you going to take care of him? Seems like a real good guy, Philippe.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:42:39 am by goldenanalog »

tertior

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 06:29:44 pm »

dear patrick, Origin is not dead and 1.5 will be the latest version.
Now the team Arturia,philippe do not know yet but it is inevitable.
Today Arturia returns money and thanks to first Storm users, who's dead.
But Origin is the first hardware and pending Origin two that will be it a digital analog modular, philippe mission will be to finalize the 1.5. and make Origin 2 (if it is not the retirement , I did not take it in my calculation of probabilities)
So, long life to  Philippe.
PS: Phillipe , you can ask to Fred a Augmentation.  ;)

nickg117

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:00 pm »
Interesting, so if I understand correctly Origin 2 will be  comprised of virtual analog modules alongside a real analog synth?

Thanks for the update by the way!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines