March 19, 2024, 10:44:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Triggering external MIDI Hardware when running Spark as a Plugin?  (Read 6261 times)

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Triggering external MIDI Hardware when running Spark as a Plugin?
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:51:17 pm »
Hey guys, I own a superb sounding Novation DrumStation. Triggering the thingy with Spark as a standalone application works fantastic.   Is there a way to use Spark as a Plugin (inside StudioOne) doing the same thing?

If not - how do I need to setup the Spark standalone app in StudioOne so that it will be in sync with my sequencer?

Any help is appreciated!

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Triggering external MIDI Hardware when running Spark as a Plugin?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:41 am »
Hi,
I do not know Studio One very well but I think it is possible.
You have to record the output of Spark plugin into a MIDI track and output this track onto your drumstation.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:15:51 pm »
Hm, recording the MIDI on a track or moving the MIDI Note to track isn't the way. Because you can't hear the sounds while programming. So I guess that means the plugin doesn't send any MIDI data out the physical MIDI out!?

I wouldn't mind a workaround by using Spark standalone next to StudioOne. But I can't get it to work. I set up a MIDI controller device in StudioOne and tried everything from IAC to the PUBLIC Outs. Same with the standalone application. Is possible to sync the standalone app to my sequencer? How do I set that up correctly?

rodanmusic

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »
You would need to use some sort of virtual midi port application to go from S1 to the standalone app.

There are plenty available for free on the web.

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:08 pm »
Thanks Rodan, but isn't the IAC driver a virtual midi port?

I already have that but I don't know how to set it up properly in StudioOne as well in the standalone app.

rodanmusic

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:17:36 pm »
Ah yes, I didn't realize you were on a mac.

I personally haven't used IAC on my mac, but I imagine it's not much different than using other virtual midi port software.

Maybe this walkthrough will help you?

http://www.johanlooijenga.com/tools/5-apps/12-virtual-ports.html

I assume it would be a similar process.

You'd just set up the virtual port, and in studio one you would set up spark as an external instrument sending out midi clock start / stop, etc. to that virtual IAC port.

Then you'd create a track in S1 with the output set to your spark external instrument (outputting to the virtual midi port).

In spark standalone you'd select the virtual IAC midi port as Spark's input.

Make sure you set spark to receive midi clock start stop in the options or nothing will happen.  I also think there is an option

I have done this before using other midi virtual port software so I know it works, but it did take me a bit of messing around with different available options.  Hope you can figure it out with a little tinkering.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:24:20 pm by rodanmusic »

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:39:56 am »
Thanks a lot Rodan, much appreciated!

I found that same link you just posted. I (think) I already set up like you and this link says. I assume S1 is the problem due to the fact that the organisation of midi instruments and controller is totally different to other seq's like Logic. Maybe it's just the split channels option I didn't hit?! I'll hit the S1 forum for that.

rodanmusic

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 05:34:32 pm »
I actually really like the Studio One instrument set up, but I too have had a hard time setting up certain things correctly in it since it's so much different than any other DAW instrument set up I've used.

You shouldn't have to split midi channels (Unless you are running the drum machine's midi out back through spark and into Studio one?).  I assume you just have to have it send start / stop midi messages and then from Spark set the receive input to be the virtual port, and then set the spark output port to be your novation drum machine.

After that I would probably route the midi out of the drum machine back into my computer some way and record that into studio one.  Good luck!  If you figure it out I would like to hear how you accomplished it as I would like to try this too.

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:16:55 am »
cheers rodan, once i find time to give it another try i'll let you know.

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:36 am »
I finally managed to get on this again... the problem I am facing is that Spark doesn't receive the MIDI clock sync. For some reason I can't select the IAC driver as clock source. The Spark Public In port doesn't work. I also tried using other inputs but they don't work either.

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 10:41:13 am »
Halleluhja, I managed to do it.

That's how it's done.

1) create a new IAC driver port
2) use this port as MIDI clock input in Spark standalone App
3) create an external device in S1 device setup
4) set it up to send MIDI clock/start to this new create driver.
5) done :)

Reads quite simple but took me one & a half hour to find out :-/

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines