March 28, 2024, 03:09:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Filter bug - LP, BP and HP affect sounds even when "bypassed"  (Read 2284 times)

VegaBaby

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I've posted this before, probably in the wrong forum section, so here goes again. my apologies for the double post if it's been noted already...

empty project, loaded in one of my own samples into an empty instrument slot with all parameters at default. compared the loaded sample to my original sample coming from my DAW. the Spark played sample sounded A LOT darker. like the top end is missing. no effects used, same volume as sample coming from the DAW.
then I found it... by default the Filter is set to LP and even with default settings of fully open Cutoff and no Resonance, the Filter is still changing the sound of the sample, cutting the highs. the same goes for the BP setting. HP setting gives you the correct high frequency spectrum, but cuts bass.

actually, when Cutoff is fully open, it SHOULD sound just like the original, not altering the sound at all. and if the Filter adds its own sound and does what it does, cool, but then there should be a Bypass option for the Filter, so that a sample sounds exactly like it originally does when there are no effects etc. involved.

this is not good. not sure how often users go for the EQ just to rectify the loss of highs due to this, not realizing that the problem is not their sample, but Spark's Filter.

would be good to hear if that's a known issue.
thanks !

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Filter bug - LP, BP and HP affect sounds even when "bypassed"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:24 am »
Hi,
you are right, the instrument filters are changing the sound even when they are fully opened.
This is a good idea indeed to add a bypass switch to avoid this.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

kcearl

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:03 am »
Is this the same with the OB filter?

I dont think you would want a bypass button..that would mean when engaging the filter during performance there would be an instant effect. It should just be coded to not add any effect to the sound when fully open

Seb

• Tech-Support
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:44:33 am »
Hey Kcearl. These are for the instruments filters, not the performance XY filters.
The XY filters are bypassed when the XY is not pressed.
The instrument filters are always on.

kcearl

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:49 am »
aaah thanks Seb

VegaBaby

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:31 am »
Hi,
you are right, the instrument filters are changing the sound even when they are fully opened.
This is a good idea indeed to add a bypass switch to avoid this.

Kevin
fantastic ! thanks for checking and confirming, Kevin. a bypass would come in very handy. looking forward to this.

would there be a remote chance to offer the OB filter as a choice for the Instrument Filter as well ? many software samplers offer different Filter choices and since Arturia has some of the nicest sounding around, it would be great to take some advantage of the OB for instruments and not just the XY...

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:58:47 am »
The problem for this one is that we have optimized the instrument filters a lot because there are 16 filters to process.
The OB filter is curretly not compatible with this.
Anyway, we will take this into consideration and try to find a solution
Kevin
Soft Arturia

VegaBaby

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:51:43 am »
yeah, I already thought that 16 OB Filters might drive the cpu a bit higher, whch may lead to problems. not a biggie, was just a thought.

getting the Bypass is far more important ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines