March 28, 2024, 09:22:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Just received my MiniLab today  (Read 5602 times)

Shink_

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Just received my MiniLab today
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:40:43 am »
I am loving this controller! the software alone is worth the $100 Arturia hit it out of the park with this one, such a well thought out design 16 encoders, 8 pads with 2 banks!!!!pot 9 navigates the sound list, push to load no need to touch the mouse, can also rate and favorite presets to sort with, or type of sound, what synth it was made with ect. pots are already premapped for each sound making tweeking sounds a breeze! Anyone on the fence about buying the MiniLab Im here to tell you I give it two thubs up! BTW I love the white and wood very sleek look  8)

Turbo_ginger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Just received my MiniLab today
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11:23 am »
What do you have to say about the build quality of the controller? Does it feel sturdy? Is the wood real? Is it made of metal, or plastic? I'm finding it difficult to get impressions on durability since there aren't any reviews out there yet.

Shink_

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:14 am »
Build quality feels good, the controller is heavier then I expected (I took that as a plus) the "wood" on the sides is not real wood the plastic is laminated (to be expected for this price point) the entire case is plastic but feels solid. Pads are responsive but don't have as nice of a rubber feel as other controllers like novation launchpad for example. Encoders are also rubber coated but again not as soft as others. The touch strips work well as long as your hands aren't greesy or clammy. As far as mini keys they are better then most controllers I have seen this size because they are vilosity sensitive. The only real issue I have come across is my daw slows down the rate of the encoders which I will be starting a thread for. I hope this answered your questions

Greg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:00:10 pm »
I fell in love with this controller from first time I saw the pics from NAMM, it was perfect.
It has everything you would want in a small form factor midi controller.

Then I ordered it, waited...then it arrived. The first thing I noticed was the fake wood sides.
Seriously??? I would have easily paid the $129 price tag, if I knew I was getting actual wood sides not this cheap sauder furniture "faux wood" crap.

Being a wood worker my entire life, I just cannot deal with faux wood.
So I went about and made my own sides out of some mahogany I had around down in the shop.
So, now with actual wood sides I can finally start exploring this new controller.
It might be petty, but to me it made a big difference in how often I now use the controller.
I have big plans to mod the heck out of this controller and make it how I see fit for my use.
I have pics of the complete dis-assembly if anyone is interested.
Here's  a pic of the new "real wood" sides.

Larjschoen3@Mac.com

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:58:16 pm »
Greg!

Those end caps look awesome!  If you are into selling more, please let me know!  Right now I am just finishing a wood case to include the Minlab controller and my iPad in one set-up to use in my rig.  Seems to be going well.  I bought this unit partially just to control my ipad synths, and this will make it a bit easier to use!

Anyway, aside from all the crashing issues, I do like the minilab as well!  Hope it all gets resolved!

Andy
www.soundcloud.com/mind2grooveratio
Macbook Pro 2.26 ghz, 8 gb intel / Ableton 8 / Minlab etc.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines