March 28, 2024, 09:55:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Expression PEDAL TO PLUG IN CVs IN  (Read 9613 times)

Fletcher94

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Expression PEDAL TO PLUG IN CVs IN
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:44:47 pm »
Hello,

is there any expression pedal on the market  that can be plugged into the minibrute CVs IN mini-jack ? 

Supposing we found some kind of adapter  from jack 1/4 to mini-jack, a yamaha FC7 or a  Mg EP-2 have any chances to work
with the MB or is there any voltage issues ?

Thanks for your experience

fanwander

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Expression PEDAL TO PLUG IN CVs IN
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:31:36 pm »
I found this http://www.vintagemusicparts.com/korgcvpedal.htm, but it is awfully expensive

The EHX looks quite good, but I have no experience with it.

The Mg pedal does not provide a CV on its own (it has neither a battery nor an external powersupply). Looks like it is nothing else than the Doepfer FP5 (see http://www.doepfer.de/zubeh_e.htm). But it should be quite easy to add an battery, so those can provide a CV.

I have to admit, that it makes me wonder, why there isn't a brand, that offers a simple true CV pedal.

LRZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:02 pm »
Wouldn't it be possible to route the CV Gate out through a volume pedal back into CV Amp in or CV Filter in ?

Fletcher94

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:22 pm »
thanks for your replys ,
i found that http://fr.audiofanzine.com/wah-wah-guitare/dod/FX17/avis/

But i am wondering why a so obvious need  regarding playability of the MB has no  answer among the community !

As LRZ says , quite strange that we can't find any simple CV pedal on the market despite all the recent analog synth offers !

May be someone within the arturia team  could give us some clue about that ?

Fletcher94

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:03:30 am »
As Fanwander aims at, the EFX seems to be a good solution : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XCirHTC3fI

The only concern will be the TRS JACK output of the pedal versus the minijack input of the MB  ....

As the price is reasonable, round 80 €,  i'll see if i can get one around Paris, not so sure

Behringer FCV100 has also CV capabilities and is available at thomann for 30 € but jacks concerns in view (polarity, ...)

The best would be some one who already validated a real gear  ;)

LRZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:19:57 am »
As LRZ says , quite strange that we can't find any simple CV pedal on the market despite all the recent analog synth offers !
Didn't say that.

I'll try to clarifie:
Using the voltage generated by the MB itself as controlling voltage instead of using external powered equipment.

My idea:
Connecting the Minibrute CV Gate OUT to a volume pedal input.
Than connecting the volume pedal output either with the Minibrute CV Amp input or the Minibrute CV Filter input.

If I am right you should now be able to use the gate voltage to control one of the the inputs, while a note is active. Of course the voltage would drop as soon the note is released which would make it impossible to use this in the Release time of the Envelopes.

tertior

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:33:03 pm »
I believe most expression pedals use a 3-conductor connector, where one is power from the master device, one is ground, and the third is the output voltage.

Basically just a potentiometer connected to those 3 lines, AFAIK.

But the problem is the Minibrute doesn't output power from its jacks.  So you'd need a little adapter, though that would actually be pretty trivial.

I don't know off the top of my head what the exact connections are, but basically you'd need to have an adapter that connects the sleeve connection on the minibrute side to the ground connection of the expression pedal, and the negative/ground side of some power supply, could be just a 9v battery even, I think.  Then the positive end of the power supply goes to the power connection on the expression pedal.  The output of the expression pedal would wire to the tip connection into the Minibrute.

Fletcher94

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:36:21 pm »
THANKS For your replies

the commander motion controller looks great !

i ordered an EHX expression pedal

i'll keep you inform if i manage to work it out with the MB !

rove

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 02:37:42 am »
you'd need to have an adapter that connects the sleeve connection on the minibrute side to the ground connection of the expression pedal, and the negative/ground side of some power supply, could be just a 9v battery even, I think.  Then the positive end of the power supply goes to the power connection on the expression pedal.  The output of the expression pedal would wire to the tip connection into the Minibrute.
Based on this I put together a box with 1 TRS Jack and 2 TS Jacks, connected all the Tips and sleeves and put a 9v battery from Ring (+) to ground, et voila! I can now use one EP2 expression pedal to control 2 different CVs simultaneously. Works great directly plugged in to the mini brute.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 12:39:13 pm »
you'd need to have an adapter that connects the sleeve connection on the minibrute side to the ground connection of the expression pedal, and the negative/ground side of some power supply, could be just a 9v battery even, I think.  Then the positive end of the power supply goes to the power connection on the expression pedal.  The output of the expression pedal would wire to the tip connection into the Minibrute.
Based on this I put together a box with 1 TRS Jack and 2 TS Jacks, connected all the Tips and sleeves and put a 9v battery from Ring (+) to ground, et voila! I can now use one EP2 expression pedal to control 2 different CVs simultaneously. Works great directly plugged in to the mini brute.

Nice.    8)

Fletcher94

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
i finally plug the EHX Expression pedal to the MB with a TS jack and it works !
Despite the MB CV input are supposed to work at 0-10V(found that at ANAFROG forum)  and the pedal output is 0-5V
Anyway i got heavy variation on pitch and VCF, not so easy to control,  lighter on the VCA ...
The pedal has a range feature that i hoped i could use to modulate the variation but using it increases the low mark,leaving the
5V limit unchanged so you get a 3-5V range instead of 0-5 V !
Not so sure it's the best way to tke advantage of the CV input .
Anyway, you can use it with a TRS jack as a regular expression pedal .

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines