March 28, 2024, 02:26:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: <4wks old & VCA dead?  (Read 2249 times)

seamonkeyman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
<4wks old & VCA dead?
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »
Hi, hopefully I'm wrong, but I think my VCA is dead. The MB worked ok for a while (less than 5hrs turned on) then this am it went quiet.. It's not moved, it just sat there, one day it worked the next it didn't. I'm using the official PSU.

Here's the situation:-

1) As I switch on the MB I hear a low rumble for 2-3 secs. I've checked the cable into my mixing desk, it works fine
2) I've set up the simple patch on page 15 of the manual (it used to work ok anyway, but I went back to this as a test)
3) There is no sound from the main out or headphones
4) the MB is sending CV out, I can hear pitch changes to my modular VCO
5) I've attached the gate out into a modular VCA, and tried into the Clock in of a Doepfer A-152 addressed T&H switch (which I expect would cycle through the outs if a gate was incoming)
6) I've updated the MB firmware (just in case)
7 Midi out is working, I can see it in Logic
8) Midi in is working, I can hear the CV out change my modular VCO pitch, but still no sound from the MB

Please can somebody help? It looks like the MB is not generating gates, hence no notes through the VCA? To make matters worse I bought the MB in Paris, and live in Moscow! :-0

Many thanks for any suggestions, if this is self fixable I'll be happy to have a go as returning it will be a nightmare.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
Re: <4wks old & VCA dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:05:17 pm »
Did you accidentally switch the gate source switch on the back?  It should be on keyboard.  apologies if this is a dumb suggestion, but it's something that can easily be overlooked.

also, the rumble when you turn it on, that could be perfectly normal.  the circuits can do anything when they're warming up.  you shouldn't expect it to function completely normally until 10-15mins after you turn it on.

seamonkeyman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:21 am »
Thanks beefinator,

I've checked the switch, it's in KBD mode. Neither of the lights by the filter envelope or amplification envelope are lighting up, which makes me think it's not generating gates...

I'll leave it powered on for a few hours, and see if it ressurects itself....

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:20:01 pm »
Could also be a loose cable inside - you may have noticed on the forums here that it's a common issue, cables coming loose.

You could try opening a tech support ticket, if they think that's the issue, they'll give instructions for doing the fix (a pretty simple process, just taking off the back and pushing the cable back into the connector, as far as I know)

seamonkeyman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:08:23 pm »
Thanks, I'm hoping it's a loose cable... I've opened a ticket this morning, but no response yet...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines