March 28, 2024, 03:26:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI Feedback (MIDI Out) Settings on Mg Modular V 2.6  (Read 3467 times)

dnealelo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI Feedback (MIDI Out) Settings on Mg Modular V 2.6
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:25:42 pm »
I'm using Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), Logic Pro 9.1.7, MMV 2.6.1, and Lemur 3.1.  Each of these I'm very happy with; now I'm trying to get them all to play together nicely.  Specifically, I want to use my Lemur to control MMV and have MMV send feedback to the Lemur so that whatever the parameter settings are on the MMV when it hooks up to the Lemur will register on the Lemur. 

I've had no trouble getting the Lemur to control MMV.  Getting feedback to Lemur was a little more challenging, but I've learned how to route that through Logic's Environment.  However, I've discovered that the MIDI Out signals sent by the MMV have no relation to the MIDI In that I map.  When I set the CC# input for a given parameter on the MMV, say assigning LPF1 to 74, the output does not get assigned with it.  Not only that, but as I've gone through and tested by hand each parameter on the MMV using a MIDI monitor, I find that the CC# output assignments for the MMV are astonishingly problematic. 

In fairness, there are many more than 128 parameters to control, even without considering the mod-amount cable nuts, so there is going to be some overlap no matter what you do.  However, in sorting out this overlap, the MMV programmers appear to have given zero thought to standard MIDI CC# mapping and very little to how different modules are likely to be used. 

For example, the MMV's CC#17 output is assigned by default to both Envelope1 Decay and Delay Time Left.  In terms of controlling these parameters without feedback, this doesn't really matter, as I can assign CC# inputs however I want and, as the control only goes one way, there is no crossfeed.  However, if I want Lemur to get control data back from either parameter, they will both send it on CC#17.  This is seriously unworkable:  let's say I have Env1 Decay set for CC#17 (input) and Delay Time on something else (input).  If I control the Delay Time Left from the Lemur, it moves as it should on the MMV, but then sends feedback to the Lemur control for the Env1 Decay, which then moves the Env1 Decay on the MMV.  An even more problematic example is the programmers set the VCA1 Attack MIDI Out to CC#0, which also controls the Bank Select.  Boy, does that make a mess. 

It seems like the simple solution to this problem would be to allow the user to set the MIDI outputs just as one can set the inputs, but I have not been able to find the option to do this nor any reference to it.  Is there already a way to do this that I've missed?  Alternatively, perhaps there is a setting that automatically maps MIDI Out to MIDI In? 

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
Re: MIDI Feedback (MIDI Out) Settings on Mg Modular V 2.6
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:09:08 pm »
I'm not sure, but maybe the Mg Modular Controller for iPad can help you getting this to work.

Or contact Ron (OneLittleFonzie), he may know a solution for this issue.

Best regards,

Manuel

OneLittleFonzie

Re: MIDI Feedback (MIDI Out) Settings on Mg Modular V 2.6
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:30:06 am »
I don't think the MMV does actually send out midi control data. It may be coming from the automation engine of Logic (I don't know logic, only Cubase, but I can try out Mainstage tonight). In cubase I can use that for feedback. But, no, there will be no relation between the learned input and the hardcoded output because these are 2 different things.

As for the overlap. In my MMV controller app I used NRPN which gives you about 16000 controller options.

I would love it if Arturia would add midi feedback to their virtual instruments. It would take a few hours to add that to my apps.

Regards

Ron

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines