March 29, 2024, 03:59:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can't get bass frequencies from self-resonating LP filter  (Read 7352 times)

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
Re: Can't get bass frequencies from self-resonating LP filter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
well, you have to turn the brute factor up a bit.

Brute factor at 9'o'clock, it actually has a wider range of self-oscillation than the lowpass filter at the same brute factor setting.

jaytee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 04:31:08 am »
Glad we got this discussion rolling again.

I am still completely stumped as to how I was getting the filter to self-oscillate in the bass. I basically entered the patch straight from a tutorial on how to do the same on an SH-101 (and so didn't engage the brute factor till after punching everything else in) and never ran into these problems or workarounds.... At least I can be satisfied that my 'brute isn't broken and I can focus on making patches that actually exist.

Now I am interested in playing with the BP filter. I had the same difficulties in getting it to self-oscillate as matias, but I want to play with some settings now.

dexfx69

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 10:56:59 am »

...the range of the self-oscillating filter doesn't want to go into the bass frequencies.

Indeed - the MiniBrute's self oscillation tone does not go down into the bass range very far before it merely disappears. This is normal for the design. Can't win em all! You'd be better off using an osc/subosc and filter them down, using res to make it kick.

AUX

• AUX
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »
I've had lots of successes before using the minibrute for synthesizing kicks. Though I do admit it's a little more challenging than with other synths, but that is due more to the behavior of the particular filter minibrute uses. I wanted to add that you shouldn't look at the Brute factor as just an 'effect', you have a minibrute, and brute-factor is part of its circuitry. Don't be afraid to use it! It does enhance sounds sometimes if used correctly.

I made the first half of this https://soundcloud.com/auxone/seq04filter using only the lowpass filter self-oscillating (no oscillators at all until 0:48), and I managed to get a decently bassy resonance, and a decently heavy kick. It works. But like I said, it's called a brute for a reason! You should embrace those nuances of this synthesizer. Every synth has it's strengths. And the minibrute has its strength in being a brute. :P

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines