March 19, 2024, 07:28:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Nasty distortion on several presets  (Read 4555 times)

bytex666

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Nasty distortion on several presets
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
Hi,

I just bought this for my iPad 4. It sounds great, but some of the lead presets have a nasty underlying "growly" distortion when I play the keys. It happens both with and without headphones plugged in.
One example, C_Duncan_factory/Leads/CD_Glider1

It sounds like some modulation is on, but there isn't. This rumbling/growling has a specific pitch, it's like an extra oscillator making a rumbling sound. I've enabled VCO3 and tuned that, it wasn't that one either. It's not some modulation affecting the filter either. It really sounds like a sound that isn't supposed to be there.

Anyone else experience this? Sounds like a bad bug to me..

I know well how to operate subtractive synths, having several hardware synths, but I can't find the culprit here, and specially since it's only in some presets but not in others.

Having messed about more with the mentioned preset, I found that the EXT.INPUT VOLUME button is active and creating the growl. I thought that was supposed to provide some nice warm feedback distortion, not mess up the preset completely unless you turn it off, though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:04:39 pm by bytex666 »

Seb

• Tech-Support
Re: Nasty distortion on several presets
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:42 am »
It's true, when the external in selector is in its middle value, and when the ext-in knob is set too high, you get this nasty distortion effect.

Try and reduce ext-in knob, there is a range where you can actually get the cool feedback distortion. Sometimes the range is very short until you reach the rumble effect. Increasing the resonance amount makes for a broader range, I noticed.

Man-Machine

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:16:55 pm »
Still, something must be broken. This is not normal in the desktop version.
L8er Osci8ers

bytex666

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:07:57 pm »
I have a hardware Creamware Minimax that doesn't have that effect when applying feedback overdrive also. Since it's present in several factory patches, they were obviously made on a version that doesn't feature this "rumble" bug. Hope it gets fixed.

Even though you can fix it yourself by dialing back the feedback, when it's present in lots of factory presets it kind of ruins the experience for most..specially if they're not accustomed to the fine uses of the MiniMg before.

I was casually browsing the presets with headphones plugged into my mixing desk and suddenly a lead sound comes with this horrible rumbling sound underneath, was like WHAT THE HELL *turn down volume ASAP*

No idea if anyone at Arturia reads these forums, though..maybe we should report it through other channels.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:12:18 pm by bytex666 »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines