March 28, 2024, 10:01:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Brand new - broken key - disappointed.  (Read 4459 times)

hatemagick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Brand new - broken key - disappointed.
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:58:22 pm »
One of the keys, a B, is 3-4 cm above the others and impossible to press down. It's a holiday here in Norway so I can't talk to the retailer, but they're respectable so I'm guessing I should just send it back to them unless this could be easily fixed? The key is very loose and can be lifted high up, but it can't be pushed down at all. I have no experience fixing synths.

Jon

stevism

• Beta-testers
Re: Brand new - broken key - disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »
no push down at all?

so you can't play a note, or use aftertouch?

hatemagick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »
no push down at all?

I just connected the synth for the first time and it sounds more amazing than I dreamed of, but yes the key is completely without response. I have made a video so that you can see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmxx7W4JbA&feature=youtu.be
Now the question is whether I should keep it and fix it myself or send it back and wait for replacement?

hatemagick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:18 pm »
no push down at all?

I just connected the synth for the first time and it sounds more amazing than I dreamed of, but yes the key is completely without response. I have made a video so that you can see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmxx7W4JbA&feature=youtu.be
Now the question is whether I should keep it and fix it myself or send it back and wait for replacement?

I found a flashlight and this is what I found. This piece of plastic was underneath the key and was blocking it. It seems to have broken off completely and is what is supposed to hold the key in place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3wSb8P-kQ&feature=youtu.be

hatemagick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:41:12 pm »
I realize now that this piece could be glued back on if I knew how to open it safely. The only thing right now is that the key is a centimeter above the others, but it's working fine.

Also it is obvious this was broken using a lot of force, because the black paint from the casing above the key is printed into it.
I'm playing around with it now, wondering if I should just forgive its imperfection and enjoy it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:02:24 pm by hatemagick »

stevism

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »
oh wow, that's a totally different issue than i had (mine came with a missing key bumper...key/aftertouch was functional but it wouldn't go down, pretty simple fix)

that's unacceptable man, return it ASAP. it's obviously been opened and messed with, and that's insane that it was old as brand new.

who knows what other trauma this unit has endured, and what potential problems will reveal themselves down the line...

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:13:51 am »
I realize now that this piece could be glued back on if I knew how to open it safely. The only thing right now is that the key is a centimeter above the others, but it's working fine.

Also it is obvious this was broken using a lot of force, because the black paint from the casing above the key is printed into it.
I'm playing around with it now, wondering if I should just forgive its imperfection and enjoy it.

For sure it could be glued back, but I don't think it's a good idea. You're supposed to receive a brand new machine. On this one, one part is obviously broken.
In my opinion you should contact your reseller...
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

hatemagick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »

For sure it could be glued back, but I don't think it's a good idea. You're supposed to receive a brand new machine. On this one, one part is obviously broken.
In my opinion you should contact your reseller...

I sent it back today, the seller covered shipping too. I was becoming very fond of the Minibrute already, but will be nice with a whole keyboard. The Minibrute is a great machine and beautifully built.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:08:54 pm »
glad you got it taken care of so swiftly - having one with a flaw like that, even if it could be ignored, would bother you every time you used it.

hatemagick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 06:14:16 pm »
glad you got it taken care of so swiftly - having one with a flaw like that, even if it could be ignored, would bother you every time you used it.

Thanks, you're right. I enjoyed having it nearby so much it was a little hard to send it back. Great service from the seller (4sound.no in Norway), they sent me a note to cover shipping the next day.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines