March 28, 2024, 11:06:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How is everyone doing fx for minibrute?  (Read 14874 times)

Wormhelmet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How is everyone doing fx for minibrute?
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:51 pm »
Just curious on what you run for fx if any on the minibrute. I have several options including running it through my Apogee Jam into my ipad and then using some guitar multi-fx or running it into my Venom synth instrument in, or the way it is currently setup through my DOD GS30 multi-fx floorboard pedal. I had that pedal lying around for 10 years not wanting to sell it and the minibrute came in and found an instant reason to hook up and use it again. I would prefer to run my Venom into the minibrute's input. I can add three more oscillators to it by doing that.

Quinthius

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How is everyone doing fx for minibrute?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:38:14 am »
The only "effects" I have is a Korg Monotron Delay.  I think they pair up quite nicely!  Even though the Monotron has a ribbon controller and crazy sounds of its own, I use it mostly as a delay unit.  Good for just a little extra touch, or all out mayhem.  Of course there's the typical complaint that the Monotrons are very noisy (which it is), but that doesn't bother me much.

Only other effect I am personally interested in would be a Reverb unit of some kind.  I have some software plugins but would be cool to have a hardware unit.  Any suggestions?  I'm pretty new to the DAW/recording world.

I will say this - using just a little delay or reverb really does seem to add a lot to the Minibrute.

Djab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:45:26 pm »
I am using TC electronics delay (flashback) and reverb(hall of fame). They are not cheap, but they sound great and have multiple sonic possibilities so they are worth their price :) You can also download some new presets for them from tc electronic page :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:38:27 pm by Djab »

synthcat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »
I use a KP3 - lots of effects, and I have the bonus of sampling the minibrute if i like a riff I play. Or i can incorporate samples I put on my SD card (voices, drums, etc).

stevism

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:47 pm »
if you guys are running your minibrute through a daw...i REALLY recommend http://www.valhalladsp.com products, specifically the http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallaubermod

you can hear an example of the mb + ubermod here: https://soundcloud.com/stevism/minibrute-ubermod-not-being

xtinct

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »
I'm using a Ibanez CS9 BBD Chorus for that 80's touch. I tried with a Korg mini KP, I don't really recommend that, unless you want to lose your MB resolution in that AD/DA.

I recommend the CS9, it maintains pretty much all the MB's character, it has very low noise for being manufactured in 1982 and sounds great over driven.

cereyanlimusiki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Cereyanlı Musiki
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:37 am »
I was really curios about Korg mini KP even planing to buy one. Is it really that bad ?

I bought LiveFX for my iPad which exactly functions like Kaosspad but I use iRig as my audio interface on iPad which does crappy job converting AD/DA. IK is going to be releasing iRig HD this spring. This might work much better with my combination
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:54:07 am by cereyanlimusiki »
cereyanlimusiki.net
facebook.com/cereyanlimusiki
twitter.com/cereyankimusiki

Wormhelmet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:34 pm »
I am using TC electronics delay (flashback) and reverb(hall of fame). They are not cheap, but they sound great and have multiple sonic possibilities so they are worth their price :) You can also download some new presets for them from tc electronic page :)

I just looked at one at Guitar Center. Might have to pick one up. They have midi too and are syncable to midi clock I believe. Solid unit. Great construction. Built like a tank. I also saw a video of the minibrute run through an electro harmonix ring thing that was really cool. Had great pitch shifting plus ring mod. Getting crazy 5ths in the video. He had a line 6 delay coupled with it. Was a very rich sound.

stevism

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »
get a strymon timeline if you want the best

zedius

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:25:48 pm »
I've used a mini-kp with it... I don't see a problem, at least using it in an fx loop as opposed to straight through. Haven't really tried straight through. Here is a nice demo I found with a minibrute and the mini-kp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZ5Pi6PR6Q

When I bought my minibrute I also bought a behringer VD-400 vintage delay pedal. They are like $25.00 and sound quite nice. Since then I
have bought an Akai Analog Pro Delay for $65.00 which was a great deal for a 1.2 second analog delay. I have also used an alesis midiverb II to nice effect.

The Minibrute sounds beautiful, so the way I see it you can really just try to keep the source pure and play with whatever effects you feel like. Plug you effects into an fx loop on your mixer and keep some clean sound to fill in any gaps.

xtinct

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:48:17 am »
I was really curios about Korg mini KP even planing to buy one. Is it really that bad ?

Well, it isn't too bad for digital delay, echo and slicer purposes. I just wasn't fond of the reverb off the KP Mini, not sure if that was attributed to it's AD/DA or simply just the FX. I felt the reverb watered down the MB's rawness more than I would desire.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »
I made myself a lofi fuzz distortion pedal (based on the schematics that used to be on getlofi.com, but were taken down for some reason, so I found them on wayback machine)

The minibrute sounds fantastic through it.  I'll post a demo once I get around to making one.

edit:  alright, here's a demo:
https://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2/minibrute-lofi-fuzz-distortion

minibrute+lofi fuzz = fatness.  Pretty good for something that cost ~$10 in components, including the enclosure.
Recorded straight from the fuzz box, no external eq or fx or anything.
Just me twiddling with knobs and engaging/disengaging the fuzz every once in a while (but mostly engaging  :D )
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:45:03 pm by beefinator »

flux302

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:13:44 pm »
I run through a ton of different chains but I ALWAYS keep my Way Huge Swollen pickle mkII on it (not always on but there) I haven't found another fuzz pedal that really beefs up the sound quite like it and the filter on that pedal is awesome.

cereyanlimusiki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Cereyanlı Musiki
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 11:24:49 am »
Yesterday I bought a Zoom MS-50G multi effect pedal

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g

I will try couple of things tonight
cereyanlimusiki.net
facebook.com/cereyanlimusiki
twitter.com/cereyankimusiki

JnC

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »
Yesterday I bought a Zoom MS-50G multi effect pedal

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g

I will try couple of things tonight

That Zoom pedal has been on my radar, as well as the 150BT version that has Bluetooth effects loading. I have been waiting for the CDR variant which sheds the amp models in favor of more chorus, delay and reverb models, but after nearly a year since announcement, I think it's vapor ware.

On your new pedal:
Its input specs appear optimum for guitar but not for hotter line levels. Also a number a folks have complained about a noise/hum. Let us know how it goes!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines