March 29, 2024, 09:19:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Why do people hate dongles so much ?  (Read 28219 times)

omissis

Why do people hate dongles so much ?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 10:49:28 pm »
http://www.arturia.com/en/specialoffer/prophetv_offer.php

You can reach it from the homepage : Shop> ProphetV special offer
M
Max

a CS-80Vist

Elhardt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Why do people hate dongles so much ?
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 08:45:29 am »
Quote from: "Didz@dron"
Most people there claim their using a steinberg vst host but keep shitting over Arturia's policy regarding the use of a dongle for demoing the brand new Prophet V. What's the problem ?:

I'll tell you why.  I buy a dongle copy protected software.  Then I buy another copy protected software but I don't have anymore ports on my computer for another dongle, let alone many of them.

Or how about I buy a new Mac that only has USB ports but my old dongle uses the ADB, then I have to either spend a hefty fee to swap with the company to get a USB one, or I have to buy a USB to ADB converter.

Or how about I buy a piece of dongled software for my Mac.  Later I buy a faster PC and would like to move the software to the PC, but I can't unless like above, I send in my Mac dongle in exchange for a PC one.  Then what happens if I get a faster Mac and I want to go back to the Mac again?  Or what if I want the PC as a backup incase my Mac goes down.

You can't run a piece of software on multiple computers with a dongle.

These are just a few of the dumbass problems these software companies cause by forcing their unacceptable copy protection schemes on us.  In the mean time, pirates crack the protection scheme in one day and upload it somewhere.  I can't see the purpose of a copy protection that doesn't actually protect copying.  So it's pointless to begin with.

-Elhardt

omissis

Re: Why do people hate dongles so much ?
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 11:37:47 am »
Quote from: "Elhardt"
Quote from: "Didz@dron"
Most people there claim their using a steinberg vst host but keep shitting over Arturia's policy regarding the use of a dongle for demoing the brand new Prophet V. What's the problem ?:

I'll tell you why.  I buy a dongle copy protected software.  Then I buy another copy protected software but I don't have anymore ports on my computer for another dongle, let alone many of them.

Or how about I buy a new Mac that only has USB ports but my old dongle uses the ADB, then I have to either spend a hefty fee to swap with the company to get a USB one, or I have to buy a USB to ADB converter.

Or how about I buy a piece of dongled software for my Mac.  Later I buy a faster PC and would like to move the software to the PC, but I can't unless like above, I send in my Mac dongle in exchange for a PC one.  Then what happens if I get a faster Mac and I want to go back to the Mac again?  Or what if I want the PC as a backup incase my Mac goes down.

You can't run a piece of software on multiple computers with a dongle.

These are just a few of the dumbass problems these software companies cause by forcing their unacceptable copy protection schemes on us.  In the mean time, pirates crack the protection scheme in one day and upload it somewhere.  I can't see the purpose of a copy protection that doesn't actually protect copying.  So it's pointless to begin with.

-Elhardt

Can't do nothing but quote each single word of you Elhardt, adding more that a lower price wouldn't defy piracy but could contribute to have it controlled because of the ability of the software to be more popular, lower the price, more people will buy legitimate licenses....anyway I'm afraid we can go much beyond the debate on the copy protection....... :roll:  :roll:
Max

a CS-80Vist

Didz@dron

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 10:20:43 pm »
Quote from: "poropat"
I didn't know about any offer for people who registered 4 vst's
separately, and the problem it's I bought Prophet V full price :evil:  :evil:

Sorry for being curious Poropat, but have you received your copy ? Did you order it through the arturia online shop ?  :oops:
d(*O*)b

poropat

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2006, 09:31:36 am »
hi didz@ron

I just received my copy this morning, with the dongle
and a card with Artutia Licence number.
In fact they started shipping for prophetV on Thursday
March 9th.
But we can't register yet on their site, they didn't
provide yet the proper option to register prophetV.

It seems to be the same version as the demo.
I saw no difference.
VCollection 8

Didz@dron

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2006, 11:49:06 am »
Thanks for your answer. Now I know it's really available. Regarding the registration, as it's a dongle protected synth, it's not a problem if the option is not available yet. I guess it will be very soon.
Have fun  8)
d(*O*)b

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines