March 28, 2024, 02:15:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencer mode  (Read 800 times)

ewo

• Apprentice
Sequencer mode
« on: March 31, 2023, 06:59:05 pm »
Does anybody happen to know if is it possible to use the sequencer time synched to the host but free running?
I'm using Pigments live and when I trigger (start) a sequence right after (laid back) the sync time, it starts the value of the sync rate too late. E.g. a 1/8th synched sequence is triggered a few milliseconds after the counting '1', then the sequence starts playing 1/8th after and is exactly in time (what I do not want in this situation).
In Omnisphere there is a switch for sequences which allows both settings ('Legato' and 'Song Position')

LBH

Re: Sequencer mode
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 10:45:34 pm »
Hello,

Do you wan't to step to the next beat at once, or do you wan't note length to be changed dynamicly?

Pigment Has 2 modes. Trigger step 1 at each new note, and continue playing when playing Legato. This is done by setting the play modes in the settings in the Right panel of the application.

As far as i can tell, then the difference from Omnisphere is the Song Position mode. It demand a host running like you mention, as it sync to the hosts beats. Are you sure it does what you describe you need? Somehow note length has to be dynamicly changed when playing live if not played in beat, or you'll get a jump in the beat. All other things including Delays might have to change too to keep everything tight.

The good thing how it is, is you can play Legato before next beat to keep in sync.

But yes i do understand you. It's not easy to use sequences and arp's live.

Do you have an example that show that Omnisphere actually adapt note lengths, when playing is'nt on beat? Do you have Omnisphere? I can't find an example. This video include the Song Position mode, but i can't see it does what you describe you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ME_aYa6yU
I think it could be interesting, if what you describe you need actually excist, as it would be an awesome feature.

ewo

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 08:12:47 pm »
Here's a comparison I did with the Omnisphere arpeggiator/sequencer. The screenshots shows an early and a late triggered 4 note sequence in Pigments and Omnisphere.
When triggering a note right after the first beat it is being swallowed in Pigments - identically to Omnis 'Song Position' mode. But Omnisphere offers additionally a so called 'Legato' mode, which I'm missing in pigments (or at least, haven't found it). This triggers the sequence start regardless of the beat.
When performing live you need to remember to hit the key for a sequence right before the beat to trigger it completely. And in some situation you want a slightly laid back sequence, which seems not doable with Pigments.

Edit: I forgot to mark the start of the bar - the first beat is exactly between the start of the early and the late event.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 08:28:19 pm by ewo »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 05:23:15 am »
I don't see you have any recordings that show different entry postions for notes in the same lane. They are all at the same beat.
Perhaps it's the settings for Pigments SEQ/ ARP RATE you are looking for?
Try out the different SYNC RATE settings.
Also try out the BPM setting for RATE. Perhaps this is what you mean by "Free Running".

EDIT: Removed some text that did'nt explain well. EDIT END
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 07:57:42 pm by LBH »

ewo

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 06:39:42 pm »
Oh, sorry, my bad. I messed up the screenshot by cutting off the beats to the measure.

I've been triggering the sequence about 1/16th before and after the beat. When triggering it ahead of the beat, the (Pigments and Omni Song Pos mode) sequence sets in with the next beat. When triggering it too late (in this case 1/16th) the 1st note of this sequence (of half notes) is cut off.
The Omni's legato mode follows nicely this lagging or rushing.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 10:05:45 pm »
You still does'nt show a track where one note is ahead and next note is after beat in different intervals (Free Running), and where you show/ tell what is Legato style played trigger notes and what's not.
Your also does'nt tell your Sync note settings for both Pigments and Omnisphere.

Did you try the BPM setting for Rate that i suggested?

If you use BPM Rate, then the first note you play any time after playing no notes will be "Instant". "Free running".
If your 1/16 notes are played excact like you show and they are'nt synced at all, then this is the setting to use, but only when not playing Legato style, as the seq/ arp will continue playing just like it look like it does in your screenshot.
I would also like to have the option to have legato played note to play instantly too. That would be no sync at all except between manually triggered notes.

However if you actually wan't a sync to ie the nearest 1/16 note, then Pigments sequence have to run at 1/16 note Sync Rate.
It can be the case you have this for the Omnisphere examples you show but not for Pigments. You does'nt tell.

But if you in example have a Sequence set to 1/4 Sync Rate in Pigments, then you in example unfortunately can't have it playing 1/16 or 1/8 ahead or after beat while the host is running, if that's what you wan't. It will be 1/4 note synced.
In this case you can set the the Seq Rate to BPM with a value 25% of the hosts BPM. This will give 1/4 notes for each seq step, - but everything will be free running.
In standalone mode or when a host is'nt running, then Pigments start playing a seq as soon as you play a initial note no matter the rate setting. This option would as said be nice to have when the host is running as well. Is that what Omnisphere does? I'm not sure if this is a bug in Pigments or perhaps a missing feature. I do think it's strange a sequence set to 1/4 note sync in example can't start at a 1/8 note. That said, then it can make sense a incomming note is quantized but not a recorded note. An option would be good to have.

I would also have the option to let manually played Legato style notes to trigger in all cases.

Pigments does'nt have the Song Position mode Omnisphere has, as i wrote and posted a video example about. It could be great if Pigments had this too.
This is what Omnisphere say in their manual: https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Omnisphere2/25/en/topic/trigger

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines