March 28, 2024, 05:53:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: “negative” value of F.M. ratio lacking !  (Read 2296 times)

ciccio id

“negative” value of F.M. ratio lacking !
« on: March 10, 2023, 10:56:20 am »
On original Synclavier, negative value on F.M. ratio  means modulation oscillator fix frequency mode, despite of the partial’s pitch track setup.
An important and very useful function fataly lacking on your synclavier V. Please implement it. I would love to have it on.

Actually, it might be more useful to be able to turn on/off the key track of the two oscillators independently on the engine page…….

Anyway, with the “negative ratio” function added, more of the original patches that could be used and we’ll be able to employ some special techniques of F.M. synthesis.
Please kindly consider it.

LBH

Re: “negative” value of F.M. ratio lacking !
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 01:02:11 pm »
Hello,

F.M. Ratio values below 1 are negative tunings. In example a value of 0.5 is one octave below default. The value 1 is default value.
So it allready excist - it's not lacking.

ciccio id

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 09:45:12 am »
Hi. Thank you for your remark.
 But No.
Sorry LBH

It seems that my clumsy expression has misled you.
I wanted to say ;
Synclavier has a function of modulator fixed frequency with the carrier and the partial both pitch tracked. Thus only the modulator is free from keyboard track.
However Arturia’s software in question doesn’t have this mode.
In this mode, FM ratio parameter become simply tuning of the modulator’s fixed frequency, like “-729hz”………..
It will be to note that the minus sign (-) here doesn’t have any particular meanings but just to say “it’s fixed frequency”. It might be Synclavier’s own culture (?).

I hope I could help clarifying my subject above.

( “0.5” is not “negative value” though….)

LBH

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 09:43:13 pm »
0.5 is "negative" relative to default 1. But not an absolute negative number. Your -729 HZ really is'nt negative either - it's a positive number. Ablsolute negative Hz pitch make no sense.
Without explanation the word "Negative" is a misleading word in this context yes.

You can deactivate Pitch Track for a Partial in Synclavier V.
But yes Synclavier V does'nt have Fixed Hz settings for a partials FM setting only.
I have never seen anything about a fixed setting anywhere. All i have seen is Ratio settings like in Arturias version. Anyway it's okay to request. I can even support it. Where did you get that information about a Fixed value?

I think i would just have requested to be able to set the Partials FM modulator parameters to a Fixed mode to set a fixed Hz value instead of using Ratio, if that's what you actually wanted to request. Ratio and Fixed is two different things. A Fixed value will not be affected by Track Pitch, so that would be implemented.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines