March 28, 2024, 10:10:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pitch difference pad and encoder  (Read 3094 times)

diverobbie

Pitch difference pad and encoder
« on: February 21, 2023, 10:06:28 pm »
For some reason I cannot get the pitch of the regular pad (used as a key) aligned with the pitch of a step encoder in the sequencer. I did a factory reset just to make sure there are no "hidden" settings.

I connect the output to a tuner (Mordax DATA) and that shows C4 when pressing the left most pad. Mordax also shows C4 when I activate the first step encoder. But the display on the MB 2S shows C3. That is strange (when pressing the pad, nothing is shown on the MB 2S display). So, the pitch sounds identical, tuner gives C4 in both cases, but the encoder display is an octave lower. How can I get this corrected?

Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:09:06 pm by diverobbie »

diverobbie

Re: Pitch difference pad and encoder
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 09:18:49 pm »
No reaction until now, in the mean time I have done a bit of homework. A systematic approach where I varied a few parameters, particularly Transpose Center Pitch and V/Oct Base Note Pitch. These are mentioned in the section on the MIDI Control Center in Arturia's MiniBrute 2S manual (English version 1.0, p. 153-155). The description on V/Oct Base Note Pitch is not very clear to me; it says "Sets the center reference point for the KBD patch bay jack", but I don't really know what this means. Judging by "center" in the name I thought it would mean the pitch halfway the volt range in the KBD patch jack, but it appears not to be so (unless I misunderstand :)).

I found the KBD patch point can range from 0 to 9 V. A huge number of 9 octaves, but the entire range cannot be used in a single setting. Maximum range for the pads is 7 octaves (more than fine for me) and max. 6 octaves for the sequencer encoders. It depends on the settings of the two parameters mentioned above.

The outcome of varying the parameters can be found in the attached pdf. Most important for me is that I find only 1 setting where the pitch (C3) of pad and encoder corresponds with the pitch on the 2S display. This is a setting with V/Oct Base Note Pitch = C1 and Transpose Center Pitch = C3, marked in green in the pdf. Any other combination yields differences in pitches and/or KBD patch voltages.

It would be nice to hear if anyone can find some logic in these data, discover the mechanism behind it. I am still a bit puzzled.

Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:21:11 pm by diverobbie »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines