March 29, 2024, 10:56:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: User Scale - Root Note note working  (Read 809 times)

didgeridoojedi

• Apprentice
User Scale - Root Note note working
« on: February 07, 2023, 10:40:25 pm »
Just got my MiniFreak.

While exploring, I have noticed that when I program my own scale, no matter what root note I choose it doesn't make any difference.

I own Microfreak and changing root note on MicroF seems to be transposing the whole keyboard  (the Key C on the keyboard becomes the tone selected as root note)
That seems to make sense when it comes to scales - it should transpose the keyboard or played sequence accordingly.

Unfortunately on Minifreak, changing Root Note doesn't seem to work as expected.

Any advice/insights?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:13:29 am by didgeridoojedi »

Seb

• Tech-Support
Re: User Scale - Root Note note working
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:34:05 am »
Hey,

The allowed notes are fully customizable, you can turn off/on any note.
On MicroFreak there is no user scale, you need to choose a scale "type", then use the root note.

On MiniBrute 2S we allow for root note change on user scale BUT we force the root note (C) to be part of the scale - scales have to be defined in the root of C then use root to select the right scale. Some users complained that this was not intuitive and prefered a fully customizable scale, without root note.

I own Microfreak and changing root note on MicroF seems to be transposing the whole keyboard  (the Key C on the keyboard becomes the tone selected as root note)
That seems to make sense when it comes to scales - it should transpose the keyboard or played sequence accordingly.
On MicroFreak changing scale does not transpose the sequence, it changes the allowed notes.

We could "rotate" the user scale when someone changes the root note, but even this might feel confusing : You forget about Root, create a Dminor user scale, then change the root to D, and now you have a Eminor scale..

didgeridoojedi

• Apprentice
Re: User Scale - Root Note note working
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 11:38:43 am »
Hey Seb,

Thank you for your reply.
So the issue I described applies to all scales, not only the user.
I think "rotate" as you called is the way I expected it to work, as this seems to be a standard that I am used to (microfreak, beatstep pro, Roland MCx0x) so for me personally that's what I'd expect to happen when choosing root note to have it on Key C on the keyboard.

Also, what makes it a real mind twister - when I set both Mini and Micro to the same scale with the same root note (other than C) the notes are completely somewhere else on each synth.

Maybe if there would be master tuning which would allow to go up or down semitones.

At the moment my workaround is to tune both oscillators up or down for the desired amount of semitones, not the most elegant but works.

Perhaps firmware could give us option to select between the modes of operation (rotate scale or leave as is it now) or master tuning of whole keyboard?

Thank you
Best wishes
Marcin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 03:17:56 pm by didgeridoojedi »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines