March 28, 2024, 07:36:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Absolute noobie looking for advice  (Read 533 times)

Robbie Burnz

Absolute noobie looking for advice
« on: January 26, 2023, 01:48:26 am »
Hi everyone. 
Just after a bit of advice regarding the Arturia Keylab 88 MK2.  I am selling my current upright piano as it is very old now, its one I use to practice on when I was at school (I'm in my 40s now) and haven't really played properly since then but am looking to get back into playing, but want to dive into something digital as it offers more options for creativity.  I've been looking at a number of keyboards, digital pianos, synthesizers etc for over the last year or two trying to decide on one and only came across this particular keyboard not long ago.  I will be mostly playing with headphones but would also be wanting to invest in some decent speakers so that my kids can play in our lounge room. 

What is the general rule when it comes to speakers and how does the sound compare to say something like a synth or digital piano with built in speakers?

Also is the learning curve steep for something like this?  I'm coming from a classical background but am very much a moderately skilled player wanting to start learning again but want to have the option of multiple instruments playing with drum beats etc. 

Is this more of a professional tool or can novices learn it quite easily.

Any help would be appreciated.   Cheers.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Absolute noobie looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:57:03 pm »
I'm a novice and i learned quite easily. Coming from something 100% hardware-based like an acoustic piano, electronic piano, synthesizer or workstation keyboard, the biggest leap is accepting that when you buy-into the VST world, everything is computer-based. So at the absolute minumum, you've got your controller switched on, a computer switched on, some software running, and usually some kind of powered speakers plugged into your computer's headphone sockets or plugged into an external USB audio interface. So it's nowhere near as streamlined or elegant. And you have to find a place for all this gear to sit. And there are wires everywhere.

But, the flexibility and potential, completely smashes what can be achieved with just one master workstation keyboard. When you start using digital recording software like Ableton, Logic or even GarageBand, there's nothing you can't do, from just simply recording what you play in one take, to compiling huge multitracked professional productions.

Speakers? Presonus Eris 3.5 at under 100 £/$/€ make a great first pair of powered monitors. Comparatively small and unobtrusive, they are better than most speakers built into digital pianos or workstations.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Robbie Burnz

Re: Absolute noobie looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 06:25:03 am »
Some great information there, thanks heaps.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines