March 29, 2024, 01:46:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: About the seq play/ auto functionality.  (Read 938 times)

LBH

About the seq play/ auto functionality.
« on: January 24, 2023, 04:22:37 pm »
Hello,

Minifreak V among other things have a potential brilliant 64 step sequencer.

I don't know if the following is a bug or a feature request.
When i use the Play button or the Auto feature, then the sequence is'nt transposed by incomming notes. I would like that to be the case.
Perhaps i'm missing the point with the features.

I'm in Demo mode, but i don't think that matter in this case.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:25:29 pm by LBH »

francoise

Re: About the seq play/ auto functionality.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:42:43 pm »
Hi LBH!

there is something you don't know?  ;D

I just recorded a short sequence.
When only AUTO is activated, if a press a key on my keyboard, the Plau button []/> flashes and the sequence is transposed accordingly to the key pressed.

Standalone, non demo mode.
I'm on Windows 11, just in case it would make a difference.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:44:42 pm by francoise »

LBH

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 05:54:30 pm »
Hi Francoise,

Thanks for replying.

there is something you don't know?  ;D
Ha-ha. Yup. A lot. :)

Are you sure the AUTO make a difference for you?
The Play button blinking happens without using AUTO. It blink as long a note is held. It's "normal" mode and it transpose according to incomming notes.

As i understand it, then AUTO is to be used with a DAW, so Minifreaks sequencer playback is controlled by the DAWs transport bar. It play from a current position when the DAW play - and it stop at the current position when the DAW stop. This behavior only make sense, if one wan't to use Minifreaks sequencers notes. This is good, but it's very limited, if you ie can't send a note to transpose the sequence. As it is you can only play notes alongside the notes the sequencer play. No transpose is possible.
However - sometimes i somehow exsperience transpose works, but only untill the sequence get stopped. When the playback continues it no longer transpose. Something strange happens.
I think it would make most sense, if the incomming notes did'nt sound but did transpose the sequence, when in this playmode. The last played note should determine the transpose, just like in "normal" mode.

It's the same with the Play button. That can be used internally - probably mostly when using the standalone application, - or when creating a sequence.

The result of the behavior i describe is different from what can be done in "Normal" mode and from using normal HOLD.
Without using normal HOLD you can transpose a sequence by a single short tab on a key. And when you stop and then continue playing the sequence just play from where it was stopped, with the last set transpose, without you have to input a note. But it does'nt work like that now.

francoise

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 11:06:42 pm »
Sorry for answering a bit late. I'm not used to checking on the forum daily.

>>> Are you sure the AUTO make a difference for you?
You're right.  I like using instruments in standalone. I had not tried Minifreak V in a daw.

In standalone, it works without the AUTO on and when you enter a not it transposes and retriggers the sequence.

I'll check in Cubase and follow up.

francoise

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 11:30:37 pm »
Follow up:
I tried in Cubase 12 using Crusty Pluck. I activated the sequencer; a sequence was already written.
Without the AUTO mode, entering notes without the hitting the Cubase play button, starts the Minifreak V sequence with transposition and retriggering the sequence with note change.

Then I recorded notes in Cubase and played the recorded midi phrase. Same behavior.

I put the AUTO mode on and the behavior is completely different: the sequence is transposed but the sequence does not seem to be retriggered. It conforms to your description "and it stop at the current position when the DAW stop".

I don't know if I answered your question; let me know. I'll check earlier this time.

I'm more into jazz so I often use Addictive Drums, Ample Sound upright bass and Pianoteq or Analog Lab in standalone.
I think the Minifreak V is very easy to use despite it's complexity. I own a microfreak so I'm used to using the matrix.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 06:44:39 pm »
Hello francoise,

Thanks.

Sorry for answering a bit late. I'm not used to checking on the forum daily.
It's not late.

As i see it, then you confirm the behavior i describe, meaning the sequence is not transposed by a trigger note, when Auto and Play is used. I think the sequence in this modes still should transpose according to a trigger note, but it does'nt right now. I don't know if this missing transpose functionality is a feature request or a bug.

Best regards

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines