April 26, 2024, 05:30:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Automating Arpeggiator repeat/ratchet/Rand Oct/Mutate etc  (Read 857 times)

KennyG5000

• Apprentice
Automating Arpeggiator repeat/ratchet/Rand Oct/Mutate etc
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:11 am »
Hi there,

First off, congratualations on this fantastic instrument, very inspiring! I am currently building a Open Stage Control Template to remotely control the VST, but I have found that none of the Arpeggiator/Step Sequencer controls are either assignable to MIDI or even automatable. Would it be possible to assign automation IDs/MIDI assignments to these buttons, as this would be fantastic to record performances into DAW (and then allow for later editing), otherwise would only be able to do this via recording audio out in realtime (seems like this would be a real shame as these buttons are fantastic for jamming with, but would be much cooler on a hardware controller than by mouse click!).

Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:49:30 pm by KennyG5000 »

LBH

Re: Automating Arpeggiator reapet/ratchet/Rand Oct/Mutate etc
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 04:12:57 pm »
Hello,

I totally agree.

The hardware version have buttons for this. In the software version this functionality should be midi CC assignable to be useful.
Imo the sequencer/ Arp is a major part of Minifreak as it set it apart from most other synths. But it's much less so without this functionality.

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
Re: Automating Arpeggiator reapet/ratchet/Rand Oct/Mutate etc
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 09:31:02 am »
Hello KennyG5000 and LBH,
I've logged this as a feature request, hopefully we'll get it next update.
Cheers!

QA Technician

KennyG5000

• Apprentice
Re: Automating Arpeggiator repeat/ratchet/Rand Oct/Mutate etc
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 02:43:40 pm »
Hi Matthieu! That is great news you are putting this suggestion forward for a future update, really appreciate it. As I have now almost completed my OSC template for the MiniFreak (which I have to say is a lot of fun to realtime control!), I noticed a couple of other controls that would be amazing to have as automatable/MIDI CC controlled for remotely controlling the VST if at all possible: The FX1/2/3 tabs (to be able to access all of the FX remotely without having to use the mouse), and similarly the Cutoff Modes. This would really give the experience of using the hardware!

Many thanks for the consideration!

LBH

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 03:57:12 pm »
Hi Matthieu! That is great news you are putting this suggestion forward for a future update, really appreciate it. As I have now almost completed my OSC template for the MiniFreak (which I have to say is a lot of fun to realtime control!), I noticed a couple of other controls that would be amazing to have as automatable/MIDI CC controlled for remotely controlling the VST if at all possible: The FX1/2/3 tabs (to be able to access all of the FX remotely without having to use the mouse), and similarly the Cutoff Modes. This would really give the experience of using the hardware!

Many thanks for the consideration!
Hi KennyG5000,

This is allready possible in Minifreak V.

Click the work wheel at the top right of the application to open the right panel. Select the MIDI tab. There you can assign midi CC using midi learn.

You also have the Matrix in the Advanced section.

You can even assign the individual Matrix posistions in the right panel midi cc section.

The parameters are also available for DAW automation.

KennyG5000

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 05:07:32 pm »
Hi LBH! I had a quick check to see if the FX tab, or filter type highlight when you choose MIDI learn, but, as far as I can tell, these do not seem available to either control with MIDI or automate unfortunately at this time. It is great though that Arturia will be willing to look at adding more parameters for remote control, as with a good control surface you can almost get the same hand's on experience as using the hardware, which is very cool! I think this instrument is definitely like a modern day Easel, warrants more live interaction than other synths imho!

LBH

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 05:51:47 pm »
The Filter Type - LP, BP, HP is'nt available, that's true.

The FX tabs FX1-3 themselfs also is'nt available. The FX selector to select effect unit also is'nt available. But all the parameters in those tabs are.

So yes for programming without having to use a mouse, then those are missng.
However then also some parameters in the CHORD/ SCALE, the VOICES, the LFO and the ENV sections are missing. But most are available.

As i see it, then all performance controls are available for those section, except perhaps the VCf filter type selector. See attached screenshot.
(The midi CC VCA parameter has a bug at this moment.)

I am for all parameters are available, but i'm not sure Arturia will do this in all their synths. We'll see.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:01:00 pm by LBH »

KennyG5000

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 06:17:44 pm »
Yep, they've got most of them there on that list (most of the drop-down style menus are not available for CC control like you mention). Certainly what is currently available makes for a great control template for the MiniFreak, so I am grateful for all of the controls it is currently possible to map as it is. As Matthieu from Arturia mentioned, he can put forward the sequencer/arp controls for candidates to add for control in hopefully the next update, so I was just positing that certainly the FX switcher (so you can access the controls for all three effect slots remotely), and filter type would also make for useful additions if Arturia were happy to expand on what is already there as is.

I guess I am hoping to closely replicate the experience of the hardware (I know a lot of users will already have the hardware if they also received the licence for MiniFreak V so it would probably not be as much of a problem in that instance), if I could afford it, I would definitely purchase the hardware as I imagine it would be a joy to program with the hands on controllers! I am absolutely loving the synth itself, it is a masterful design and one of Arturia's finest imho!

Edit: I can now see what you mean LBH about all of the FX parameters being available as separate assignable controls, this is much better, as it is simple enough to make them switchable on the template thanks! Now just the filter type to sort (with arp/seq) and then it will make for an awesome control surface for it!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:05:40 pm by KennyG5000 »

SebAudio

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 02:15:27 pm »
Great that the incomplete CC (and automation) remote implementation is going to be completed ! I was a little disappointed when I’ve discovered that you can’t jam remotely with all the power of arpegiator ! But there’s hope ! Thank Kenny and Arturia !

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines