March 29, 2024, 10:39:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Audiofuse Studio output to iPhone?  (Read 683 times)

mjacques

• Apprentice
Audiofuse Studio output to iPhone?
« on: January 23, 2023, 01:17:21 am »
Hi there - I'm able to successfully connect my iPhone with my Audiofuse Studio via the main USB-C on the AF (into USB-A, into Apple camera connector dongle), but I'm wondering if there are other ways to get AF output into iPhone so I can record *all* audio/video directly into my phone, including system audio coming from my laptop if I connect the laptop as the primary USB-C connected device.

Apologies I've no doubt made a ton of newb mistakes, and I've now bought every possible combination of 1/4" into 1/8" TRS / TRRS on the planet as far as I can tell... nothing works to get laptop system audio / output or any AF output into my phone without going back to the USB-C into camera dongle. I've tried 1/4" and 1/8" headphone outs into TRRS (I have a 1/8" splitter which otherwise works fine as mic input from a DEITY shotgun mic), 1/4" speaker and aux outs, and configuring the secondary USB-A connectors for loopback (tho I don't fully grasp what that is intended to do)... none of which works to fool the iPhone into thinking it's a suitable mic input to start recording via the 1/8" splitter to lighting adapter I have.

Have I missed something obvious? Any ideas or workarounds appreciated. My main end utility here is I'd love to record my electric guitar (which interfaces fine with the AF) going through software amp modellers on my laptop... which necessities having the laptop connected to the AF via USB-C, which seems to preclude recording of said end result via my phone. I could record audio and video separately and merge in an editor, but I'd love to avoid that extra step if at all possible.

Thanks for any help!

mjacques

• Apprentice
Re: Audiofuse Studio output to iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 01:07:43 am »
Thanks so much for the reply... you've nailed what I'm trying to do. I definitely realize recording into the phone isn't going to give the best audio quality, and this is just something I'm looking to do for more casual one-of things like deciding to go live on Instagram to share a track in progress etc. The AF works great with the phone as an interface when the laptop isn't a part of my audio chain at all (like playing synths direct into AF or un-processed clean guitar signals).

It just seems to me that it ought to be possible to take headphone out, speaker out, or aux out from AF into 'mic' in on iPhone but no doubt there's something I don't understand about signal levels or the nuances of the iPhone apparently needing TRRS. I think you might be on to something with Soundflower out to USB-C though... I'll keep exploring that, though I worry that setting Soundflower as my audio device might undermine using the AF as my audio-in source for the clean guitar signal?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Audiofuse Studio output to iPhone?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 09:17:18 am »
I can't offer specific advice other than to clarify that audio will not be 'compressed and compromised' just because you're connecting your audio interface to a lightning device (iPhone). That is complete fiction, and I can't even think where anyone might have read it. It's 100% possible to make studio-grade recordings with a lightning-equipped iPhone (or iPad).
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines