April 25, 2024, 08:55:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Question: Passing MIDI Clock through KeyLab to other devices?  (Read 445 times)

in the vast forest

Question: Passing MIDI Clock through KeyLab to other devices?
« on: January 21, 2023, 06:51:09 pm »
Short version:

Hello! I'm looking into a KeyLab Mkii 61 for my existing hardware performance setup, but I have a convoluted MIDI configuration already and am not sure if it will do what I'd like. I am curious if anyone has had experience passing MIDI clock from a hardware synth, through the KeyLab, and into other devices.

Longer version:

I have a hardware rig that varies between 3-6 synthesizers and 1-2 pedals that I use to perform a live soundtrack for a weekly Twitch stream. Currently, the core of the system is a Korg Wavestate, which sends MIDI to a Bastl MIDILooper, which then goes back to the Wavestate and a Reface CP. Also in the mix is usually a MicroFreak which isn't MIDI controlled in any way (though I would like it to be synchronized with everything else) and a Zoia for effects on the whole mix (same story: would be nice to get it MIDI clocked). The Wavestate's clock is what I would like to keep throughout, because many patches have unique tempos, but its three-octave keybed is limiting, and I have a hard time using its controls to send CC elsewhere because they're usually mapped internally. The KeyLab seems to have the perfect amount of knobs, sliders, etc., but regrettably no clock source!

My thought is to have the Wavestate send clock to the KeyLab over MIDI, then have that go to the MIDILooper and back to the Wavestate/Reface (and others using a MIDI quadra-thru, probably). I'm concerned that the KeyLab might not pass the clock signal, as it doesn't with the Reface when I connect something to its' MIDI Out. I recognize this is a unique and weird situation (and, honestly, maybe I'm making it more complicated than I need with separate tempos in the Wavestate) but if anyone has any experience passing MIDI in this fashion with the KeyLab, I would love to hear about it!

Thank you for your time, and take care!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines