April 18, 2024, 11:54:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Is the Pigments sequencer really limited to 16 steps?  (Read 891 times)

noisyboyuk

Is the Pigments sequencer really limited to 16 steps?
« on: January 14, 2023, 09:46:52 pm »
Hey gang!

Is the sequencer / arpeggiator really limited to only 16 steps or am I missing the controls to expand it?

Seems to be limited to little riffs instead of nice progressions which require like 32 - 64 steps but I can't work out how to extend beyond 16.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:49:53 pm by noisyboyuk »

LBH

Re: Is the Pigments sequencer really limited to 16 steps?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 11:26:08 pm »
Hello,

That depend on how you look at it.

In a traditional view it would be a yes you have up to 16 steps.

But you do have the Division, the Polyrythm and the other Seq/ Arp features. This give some options for much longer sequences. Unfortunately the DIV/ division feature is'nt set pr step though.

You also have modulators like Functions that also include the option to control Pitch parameters. That also add options for some longer fully controlled sequences.

noisyboyuk

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 12:52:43 am »

That's a pity. From what I could tell the divisions only really allow me to repeat the same note twice (or however many times I set the division to) I think.

Is that right?

Yeah I was having a look at the Functions although to be honest the whole reason I bought Pigments was because I didn't like the method of drawing in curves which pretty much ever other VST synth has (which I've always just found a bit clunky and uninspiring to play with when drawing in notes). This seemed to be one of the few out there that has a proper sequencer UI but I unfortunately didn't realise at the time it was only 16 steps.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:54:27 am by noisyboyuk »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 10:10:00 pm »
Divisions add "repeats" yes. But how that sounds and work depend on the options i mentioned.

If we just talk pitch for each repeat without using modulators, then the Octave lane can be used to change octaves for the pitch. Ie functions can be set to modulate pitch for each repeat.

Beside pitch you have lanes for Probability and Gate length. That mean you are'nt stuck to have a note on each step or repeat and you can ie create different length of notes.
Each lane can also have it's own divisions. And each lane can run it's own cycle.
Ie functions have own rate settings.
Different rate parameters can be modulated.

All this offers some creative possibilities. That's why i said traditionally no, you only have some possibilities.
Pigments Sequencer also have the Random options to get ever evolving sequences. But yes they are not controlled.

Pigments sequencer have 16 "true" steps for which you can set a pitch for directly in the Sequencers Pitch lane.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines