April 23, 2024, 09:20:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Voice independent random sampling  (Read 630 times)

muchkatharsisneeded

• Apprentice
Voice independent random sampling
« on: January 02, 2023, 04:33:30 pm »
Currently the three random number generators are global for all voices playing. I'd like to suggest an option for them to be independent per voice.

LBH

Re: Voice independent random sampling
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 06:31:04 pm »
Hello,

As far as i can tell, then it's only the Turing modules that have what i consider to be a bug.
If i in the Turing module select Poly KBD as trigger source, then i exspect it run seperate for each individual note, but unfortunately that don't happen. It work like Mono KBD retrig. I can't tell for sure, if this is a bug, but to me it look like it is.

But both the Sample&Hold and the Binary modules do work as exspected with Poly KBD as Retrig Source.

BTW: Keep in mind, that the LFO's also have a "Random" mode.

muchkatharsisneeded

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 07:03:45 pm »
All of the random sources act as global if the Retrig Source is Seq Clock or Free Running, likely as they all sample from the same noise source at the same moment. It's not a bug per se, but I'd like the additional option of having independent noise sampling per voice rather than global for the entire patch. Also it is possible some existing patches rely on the current functionality so that's why I post it as a feature request rather than a bug fix.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 11:47:43 pm »
Keep in mind, that the Seq/ Arp only play one note at a time.
When something is reset by a clock, then they will reset at the same time, unless each voice is applied different phases/ reset points. It's the same when a free running mode is in the same phase for all voices.
It's about what point/ phase things reset to, and thus to be able to set different phases for each voice modulation.

So it would be nice with Phase parameters so each voice somehow can get it's own Reset/ Phase point.
And ie a Voice Num modulator (like the one in Mini V3) could be useful - not only for setting phases, but also for ie Voice Pan.
Perhaps the Voice Num modulator is most important.

I'd like the additional option of having independent noise sampling per voice
If you by this mean White Noise S&H modulation, then i think you allready can do more in that direction than you think.
Lets take some examples using Pigments functionality:

EXAMPLE1
Let a random module in Sample&Hold mode modulate a parameter like ie a cutoff. Select White Noise in "Sample from". Select LFO 1 as Retrig Source for that random module.
Then set LFO 1's Retrig Source to Poly KBD and set a LFO Rate. Now you have a polyphonic Random module for the Random modules Sample&Hold mode.

EXAMPLE2
Now change the same Random modules "Sample From" to another Random module. In that other Random module set the mode to Turing, and select Free Running as Retrig Source for that Turing module.
Now you have a polyphonic Random Turing. This might give another effect, than if the Poly KBD for the Turing mode bug i refered to in my first post worked as exspected, so it gave each voice it's own phase. Perhaps there is something about this "bug/ functionality" i have'nt understood, and if so i would like to know what. But i do think it's a bug, as Mono KBD seems to give the same result as it is in the Turing mode.

About Ex 1: If you wan't to use White Noise, then you can actually just use the Random position in the LFO and have Poly KBD retrig source. There are different possibilities and different results though.
LFO's ie have a Phase parameter, that can be modulated. Here is an example about that:
EXAMPLE 3
Let a LFO modulate a parameter like a Cutoff. Now when you select Poly KBD as Retrig Source, then you actually have a Polyphonic LFO. But if you play multiple notes at excactly the same time, then all voices will be in the same phase all the time and everytime you play a chord.
To change this, then you can try to modulate the LFO's phase parameter with a Random Sample&Hold functionality. Try to give the LFO's Phase parameter a full modulation from a random module that's set to Sample&Hold mode. Select Poly KBD as Retrig Source for that Random module. Now you will have random variations in phase for each voice. Excactly because the Random modules S&H mode does'nt run and add other modulation with that retrigger source as long as the key is held, then the LFO phase parameter will stay on initial modulation state for each voice. The phase can be the same for the voices though, as it's random settings.
To avoid the same phase for any voices, then it in example would be nice with a Voice Num modulator to modulate the phase to make sure each voice modulation had different phase, when that's wanted.

I think an idea in Pigments is to combine things in different ways. That can give results a fixed functionality can't give. Many fixed things can also add up to have too many parameters, if all shall be covered specificly.
But there is absolutely things to wish for. Phase parameters for modulation sources and Voice Num modulator (something like in Mini V3) is examples. This and other things have been wished for in the forums.
In Generel i would like to be able to set phase for different things easyli.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines