March 29, 2024, 02:17:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Rear Inputs of MiniFuse 4  (Read 1163 times)

LETT

Rear Inputs of MiniFuse 4
« on: December 28, 2022, 10:20:23 pm »
Hey all,

I just recently upgrade to the Arturia Minifuse 4. So far, I'm really liking the quality of everything, and believe I've learned my way around the interface and Minifuse Control Center for the most part.

My question is about the rear inputs, Input 3 and 4.

They are significantly quieter than my front Inputs 1+2. If I take the same instrument and plug it into the back and that device has its own volume, and I put it at 100% on that device, it still only hits like -36dB max. And then the only amount of gain I can add on top of that with the levels is +12dB which isn't enough.

Is this typically what one would expect? Are the back to Inputs even usable without getting some additional external pre-amp device or the like to boost the gain? Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious or if this seems normal.

Best regards,
LETT

LETT

Re: Rear Inputs of MiniFuse 4
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 11:28:53 pm »
I just found that the knobs in MiniFuse Control Creator do help add 24dB on top of the 12dB gain you can do in the Outputs section. So that does help with volume.

My main issue now is that the audio signal seems to be sending only like half of the data, a lot of the bass and some information seems to be missing. I'm using an AUX cable into a 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapter. The sound works perfectly fine when plugged into the front Inputs, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my cable/adapter. At this point, I'm just struggling to get a clear signal of audio from any device or instrument through the Line Inputs on the back.

LETT

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 11:54:17 pm »
To add some extra ideas of what I can deduce. It sounds like the audio that's coming through for any device plugged into the back Inputs is lacking bass and sounds kind of washed out and reverby; so my hunch is somehow it's like I'm getting only the side information and the mid information is cut, but that side information is then being sent as mono. It's hard to describe, but it's not like I'm missing L or R, it feels like I'm missing the whole center/mid weight of the audio signal.

LETT

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 01:23:40 pm »
I'm ordering in a 'stereo breakout' Y shaped cable which sends one male AUX to two male TRS 1/4" ends. I'm thinking it's going to require using both Inputs 3+4 together to get the type of output I need from a single AUX source.

Sorry for all the back and forth with myself, but I think I'm getting this figured out slowly but surely.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 05:49:15 pm »
Sorry for all the back and forth with myself, but I think I'm getting this figured out slowly but surely.
No problem - it's good that you're working it out  :)

There is nothing special about inputs 3 and 4, they're just normal line level inputs (so quieter than the front inputs), and there shouldn't be any issues with the sound. Hoping you get it all in perfect working order with the new adapter cable - sounds like it should do the trick.

LETT

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 10:47:31 pm »
So I got the breakout cable, and that more or less seems to have given me the full image and sound spectrum I was expecting as I get through the front inputs. Seems I've kind of come to answer my own questions.

The rear inputs might need a little more gain compensation level wise to stand up to the front inputs, and any singular AUX/stereo instrument or source needs a breakout cable to plug into rear inputs 3+4 simultaneously to get the full sound. Was hoping I could get two extra inputs in the rear, but it will still do.

I think I'm good at this point, but hopefully anyone else looking into this interface gets a little better understanding of what to expect from this. It's just not super clear in any manual or video or anything otherwise how to make the best use out of the rear inputs.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines