April 25, 2024, 12:12:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Not a good look for V Collection  (Read 591 times)

sunbambino

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Not a good look for V Collection
« on: December 20, 2022, 07:18:45 pm »
Arturia - with respect - what about this planned obsolescence of presets as you jump ahead with new versions of your V synths? Why don't you make it possible to bring presets forward, why leave all the hard work peeps put into building patches stranded in the past?

Why no preset conversion software alongside undisputed improvements in your main synth engines? This is not a good look for you, it makes it seem as though you don't care about your end-users.

I don't know of any other music software designers that have a similar laissez-faire policy. Just one example: AAS provided conversion routines when they updated Chromaphone from V2 to V3. But I've had to leave behind my precious Vintage Synth Pads banks for the V Collection Prophet and CS80, better patches than I could design in a month of Sundays. This reflects badly on Arturia. It sends the message that you don't value your own creations or ours, it signals they can be just thrown away.

Might it be possible to do something?

LBH

Re: Not a good look for V Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 08:00:25 pm »
Hello,

Unfortunately you can only keep the old applications installed alongside the new where the old presets can't be used in the new, and then use the applications as long as it's possible, as they will not be updated anymore.
I think it must be like that, when an instrument is changed much.

Also the old presets also still are available in Analog Lab.
Having the old full applications installed also make it possible to edit them fully as long as the full old applications work.

I think Arturia could provide a preset converter to make the best duplicates for the new applicatios, even if the sounds from the old applications never will sound the same in the new, when so much has changed and been improved soundwise.

You can also try to manually replicate old presets, and see what happens. You might end up with something better.

I don't know if any sound designers of soundpacks will try to recreate presets for free to old users or something like that.

In projects it's allways most safe to convert to audio.

BTW: NI had a Kore preset system they dropped. I believe it now will not be possible to registrer and use at all.
I think it's possible there are other vendors where old presets can't be used in new applications.
Some have discuntinuet products, and even made it imppossible to activate the products.
I agree it's not good, if it means owners loose products without compensation. I also think products can't keep stuck in ols technology.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:03:48 pm by LBH »

sunbambino

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 09:52:15 am »
No, I get you, we mustn't stick in the past...and the engines have really improved to the point where I think the new Prophet VS equal in its own way to Wavestation / Wavestate etc but with a sound of its own.

I wondered about Analog Lab being able to pull up old libraries but it doesn't seem to happen here, my precious VSP banks for CS80 and Prophet don't show.

Perhaps you mean only Factory Banks come through this way?

I agree with you that a preset converter - even if it's not 100% accurate - would be a solid gesture from Arturia.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:55:09 am by sunbambino »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 12:51:00 pm »
In Analog Labs main menu - at the top left of the application - you shall enable "Include Legacy Sounds", then any V3 presets on the right location should show.

Remember CS-80 V3 and V4 can be installed alongside each other.

sunbambino

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 02:14:39 pm »
OK, don't think I had this enabled, many thanks

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines