April 26, 2024, 07:42:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Playing MIDI CC Automation In Ableton Spams OLED Display on Playback  (Read 557 times)

codekiln

• Apprentice
I love the display and how it tells me what instrument I'm on or what control I'm adjusting as well as the value; that was one of the reasons I got the MiniLab 3 despite already owning a MiniLab mkII.

I'm a long-time user of Arturia and Ableton (latest 11.2.6) but am having a basic day 1 question on getting MiniLab 3 (firmware: latest 1.0.5) to play nice with Ableton: any recorded MIDI automation spams the display, rendering the display useless during automation playback. I've configured it as per the PDF at https://support.arturia.com/hc/en-us/articles/6283884020508-MiniLab-3-DAW-Integration )

If I create track 1 with Analog Lab and record 2 bars of me doing a sweep of the Brightness macro into a session view clip in Ableton, then in the OLED display, I see the update to the Brightness macro while I'm updating it. So far, so good.

But if I play back that MIDI clip, now the recorded updates to the "Brightness" MIDI CC spam the display of the MiniLab 3, and it prevents me from using the display to do anything. If I select and arm track 2 with another instance of Analog Lab, I can't use the display in Arturia mode anymore, because it's being spammed with the Brightness from the clip in track 1.

The behavior I expect:
1. When track 2 is exclusively armed and selected, the display on MiniLab 3 doesn't show updates from track 1's Analog Lab automation, even if a clip is playing that has recorded automation.
2. When track 1 is armed and selected, the display on MiniLab 3 shows updates from automation, but there's a debouncing such that if I've entered any control, I have at least 500ms-1sec to view updates for that control I just touched before seeing another played-back automation. And if there are multiple automation parameters playing, it doesn't cycle through them ridiculously fast.
3. I'm able to disable external MIDI automation updates from showing in the display.

The actual behavior:
1. When track 2 is exclusively armed and selected, the display on MiniLab 3 in Arturia mode shows all updates from all other tracks playing recorded automation for Analog Lab, making it impossible to select a preset or make other adjustments in track 2's instance of Analog Lab
2. It's difficult to see the updates when track 1 is armed and selected in session overdub mode
3. I'm not able to disable external MIDI automation updates from showing in the display.

I've tried a bunch of different Ableton MIDI preferences, including only enabling MiniLab 3 MIDI In, but nothing stops the display.

Are there any workarounds for this - other than just not recording any automation or not playing back any automation or not using Arturia mode?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 04:12:59 am by codekiln »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines