March 28, 2024, 09:12:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Applying aftertouch to faders in KeyLab Essential 88  (Read 1469 times)

Vocel

• Apprentice
Applying aftertouch to faders in KeyLab Essential 88
« on: November 14, 2022, 12:04:03 pm »
Since there is no aftertouch in this line, I was wondering if/how do you aplly poly aftertouch to faders. Can I?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Applying aftertouch to faders in KeyLab Essential 88
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 01:05:56 pm »
Quick browse through the manual and I can't see how this can be done.
EDIT: maybe it could be done through the MCC, but because I haven't got an Essential to try it on, I'm not sure.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 05:52:52 pm »
Hello,

It's not possible.

FYI: Aftertouch is'nt a midi CC.

Vocel

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 09:29:33 pm »
Hello,

It's not possible.

FYI: Aftertouch is'nt a midi CC.
How about using Expression pedal? Would that work... and how?

LBH

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 11:29:40 pm »
Keylab Essential does'nt have Expression input either.

The answer would be the same anyway.

What are you trying to do? Can you give an example?
What excactly do you understand by Poly Aftertouch?

Vocel

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 10:15:12 am »
Keylab Essential does'nt have Expression input either.

The answer would be the same anyway.

What are you trying to do? Can you give an example?
What excactly do you understand by Poly Aftertouch?
Poly Aftertouch, Aftertouch would came in handy with e.g. majority of U-he instrument where somehow this controller in many presets triggers vibrato, as well as Xils-Lab presets where many have Aftertouch mapped for additional/useful sound tweaking.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 12:07:54 am »
Arturias synths also have some kind aftertouch modulators and so do other applications.

Keylab Essentials Pads according to the manual are pressure sensitive. So perhaps you have some possiblities in using them. You'll have to try to see.

I don't know, how you think a way where you can get Poly Aftertouch using controls like faders and expression.

Keep in mind that Channel Aftertouch is'nt the same as Poly Aftertouch and that MPE (MIDI polyphonic Expression) is something by it self.
Channel Aftertouch is the most common in controllers that have aftertouch, and mean you apply the same aftertouch amount to any note playing just by pressing a single note.
There are PolyAftertouch keyboards out there but not many. I think most is old. Poly Aftertouch apply individual aftertouch to the individual notes you play and press.
The newest thing at this time is MPE controllers. They can do like Poly Aftertouch but in a different way.
Also keep in mind that applications have to support the different modulation types, if it shall work as exspected. That include hosts like DAWs.
I suggest you study all this.

But lets say we talk about a parameter in a synths that has Aftertouch applied as modulator. Then you - if the synth allow it - can replace Aftertouch as modulator with another modulator, so that control apply modulation. What's possible depend on the individual applications.
Some applications might have a Global way to do this, while it in most will be for each preset.
The problem is, that you might only be able to select a modulator that is used for other modulations, and then you don't have them. Otherwise you perhaps is able to assign a midi CC control to a Macro or a parameter in the applications.
This kind of modulation will create the same modulation amount for all notes playing.

Your Synth or host/ DAW might have a midi remap functionlaity that can remap/ modify a control to act as Channel Aftertouch.

Or there might be a seperate midi Remap/ modifier application out there that can do it, and that your host perhaps can allow you to use somehow. It might not be easy just to find out, if you can.
That you also have to study, if you wish. I just mention it.

It's also possible to add aftertouch modulation manually as automation in a DAW after a recording, if that's good enough for you. Again just to mention the possibility.

You can also just get a controller that have the functionality you want to use. If you wan't individual note based aftertouch functionality playing many notes at the same time, then it's the only way to go.
I can't tell for sure if there are controllers out there, that have midi remap/ modifier toward aftertouch messages. I doubt it.
The point with Aftertouch is also to have the modulation in the fingers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:33:41 am by LBH »

Vocel

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 01:12:21 pm »
Thank you LBH a lot. Yes, I was considering using DAW factory staff (Cubase in my case) to route the controllers to achieve the final Aftertouch effect. Yet, I thought I could use my KEyLAb. Well, it is still "essential" isn't it?
You are a very helpful and knowledgeable person knowing how to advice and not offend the newbe. Must admit, kind of a new experience for me here and there, yet very hear-warming.

LBH

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 04:20:46 pm »
Your welcome,
Thanks.

Well, it is still "essential" isn't it?
What's not essential?

One can argue that Velocity and Sustain/ Hold pedal is'nt essential. Some actually does'n t need more, as they disconnect it anyway in the way they work.
I can imagine Arturias thinking is, that many would like to play piano, and then they have added velocity and the most simple on/ off pedal option.

But i'm sure many piano players in example would like Sustain, Soft pedal and Sostenutu pedal and find that and half pedaling essential.

Many Organ players would find at least a pedal to control Volume to be essential, and perhaps also pedal inputs to control different types of Leslie controls.

One that like to play a CS-80 and alike will in example say that polyphonic Aftertouch, Mod Strip and different kind of pedal inputs are essential.

Some would say some X/Y pads, Joysticks or both is essential.

Some will say a breath control input is essential.

Some would say a third wheel is essential.

Others would say CV control is essential.

Some will say it's essential to use footcontrols too change presets in a playlist and so on...

So a controller with at least 8 controller inputs with variable functionality, at least 2 X/Y pads Joysticks or both, 3 wheels, Channel and Poly Aftertouch, a Mod Strip, CV control options and a very good and well responding velocity and aftertouch should be essential to cover it all. I actually would like a controller with it all - perhaps except CV as i don't use that now, but perhaps i suddenlu need it and find it essential.

Some might even think MPE is essential, and actually for some things can't argue against it. I might even need it my self sometimes.

And off coarse a multipage midi CC system is essential, with at least 9 faders, 9 knobs, and 2x9 buttons per page, and a knob that can function on any parameter the mouse hoover over is essential.

As you can see - the point is that anything is essential, but it depend.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 04:41:56 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines