March 28, 2024, 02:08:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Gating Hiss with Note On? (Vocoder V)  (Read 2231 times)

explodingPSYCH

• Apprentice
Gating Hiss with Note On? (Vocoder V)
« on: November 02, 2022, 06:55:19 pm »
When I set the Hiss where I want it, it is triggered whether or not I play a key. This means I have to manually automate Vocoder V out of my mix whenever I don't want it to trigger hiss.

Is there a way to set it so that Hiss (and all other audio from the Vocoder) isn't triggered unless there is a note on?

What am I missing?

LBH

Re: Gating Hiss with Note On? (Vocoder V)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 10:42:22 pm »
Hello,

I assume, it's when you use mic?
1. Be sure your mic input into your soundcard is'nt set to hot.
2. Adjust the Threshold (Thres) in Vocoder V's VOICE INOUT section.

It's not a note trigger switch but a input adjustment.

explodingPSYCH

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 09:23:44 pm »
I am using recording audio. Whenever Esses and Tees are sounded in the vocal track, it triggers the "hiss"/noise portion of the audio. I want to use this sound, but when I don't play notes, the Esses and Tees still trigger the sound, as though the "Hiss"/noise portion of the synth is always on (hold) instead of gated by the note.

Are you saying that this is not the case and that noise should not be triggering this way when notes are not pressed? If so: what settings would cause this to happen?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 10:11:01 pm »
Are you saying that this is not the case and that noise should not be triggering this way when notes are not pressed? If so: what settings would cause this to happen?
No. I'm saying that in Voice Input Mode the signal is'nt determined by triggering the notes manually. The Audio signal input in it self generate a Note On message, when the input signal exceed the Threshold.
That's why i suggested to adjust relevant settings, as they are the cause you search - so to speak. There must be something in your audio signal that exceed the Threshold.

Please consult the manual section "5.2.2. Gain and Threshold".

I assume you also can use a Gate plugin to control the signal going into Vocoder V.

BTW: I see i have made a spelling error in my first post. I assume you know i meant INPUT and not INOUT.

explodingPSYCH

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:47:56 pm »
I'm assuming that if I drop the audio below the audio threshold that it will no longer trigger. This isn't what I want. I want it to trigger, but only while note gates are "on". Currently, I have to manually automate volume or mute on the channel to avoid noise blasts if audio is present in a section where I don't want the vocoder (for example: having the vocoder in a chorus of a song only. with the current configuration, it triggers the hiss throughout the entire song!) No other vocoder I've used (hardware or software) behaves this way.

Is there a logical reason for it to use the audio to gate instead of the keyboard gate for volume?

LBH

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 03:29:06 pm »
Is there a logical reason for it to use the audio to gate instead of the keyboard gate for volume?
If you look at the signal flow, then there is a logic.
The Hiss is'nt a part of the carrier synth. The keys control the pitch and gate of the carrier synth.

Anyway - Personally i don't mind a mode in Vocoder V, so note on/ off messages also can control the main output for Vocoder V. But as an option. You have some ceative possiblities now, that you would'nt have, if everything needed a note on message to give sound.

explodingPSYCH

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 03:21:50 am »
An option would be great, and I can see some situations where holding open the noise might be useful.

While it might make sense to have this as a default from a design standpoint, from a user standpoint it feels pretty awkward. Having a part of the synthesized audio path on "hold" feels arbitrary and has to be worked around when using the vocoder in standard/classic vocoder applications.

A "hold" button or "release hiss hold" button would be a great solution though.

LBH

LBH

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 11:16:54 pm »
BTW: You could exsperiment with using Mods.
You could for example use the CarrierENV as Mod for the Voice input level, if you really can't - or don't want to use the threshold. Then the Voice input level could be turned down by the Mod, when you release the keys.
Set the Voice Input Level to 0. And set the modulation for it to a positive value. The effect depend on the Carrier Synth Envelope settings.

Also keep in mind that the compressor have an impact on the levels.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 12:42:36 am by LBH »

Jason Stern

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 09:39:28 pm »
Thanks for that.  That all makes sense, but as suggested in that thread there should be an option to have the signal gated if no notes are pressed.  I'd argue that is expected behavior these days for instruments that are played from the keyboard.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines