April 26, 2024, 07:17:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi sync Ableton without track position  (Read 832 times)

Wound

• Apprentice
Midi sync Ableton without track position
« on: November 02, 2022, 01:00:12 am »
I am currently having a hard time because of a seemingly simple thing. I am syncing Ableton Live 11 to the KSP over USB via Live`s "Ext".

Now I would like to be able to record something to an arbitrary location of an arrangement, say at the end. Currently, after placing the insert marker somewhere in Live's arrangement, whenever I activate record on Live and press play on the KSP, Live jumps to position 1:1:1 instead of recording from the insertion marker. Or when I press pause on the KSP and then move the insert marker to where I want it to be, after resuming the recording on the KSP the recording head jumps back to the location where I had paused the recording.

This is annoying, because I do not see a way of fast forwarding the session to my desired location using the KSP. And when the KSP is the sync master, it does not receive or process any position information from Live, when I move the insertion marker.

I have tried the different modes of the "transport send" menue, leaving Clock send "on" at all times. Transport send "OFF" does not work. Live reports the incoming clock, but complains about the missing sync signal and does not actually start to record. "MMC", "real time" and "both" appear to behave the same way as described above. The KSP appears to send an absolute time code or track position, which Live jumps to, whenever play is pressed.

I am seeing now two solutions. Either KSP should optionally be able to send start, clock and stop without sending absolute track positions, or it should be able to receive track positions from Ableton to adjust its internal position, even though it is the master. In any case, it is more convenient to manage recording locations in the DAW.

Some more information about my setup. You might wonder, why I am not just using Live as the sync master instead. Actually the KSP is not the "prime" master in my setup. That is "Pamela's New Workout" in my Eurorack. I am using one of Pamela`s outputs to send a 24PPQ signal to the KSP. This then syncs Ableton Live on demand. In my experience, this method provides the lowest latency and most stable sync.

Kind regards, Henning

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines