March 28, 2024, 11:13:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What is V-Collection meant to be?  (Read 2810 times)

LBH

What is V-Collection meant to be?
« on: October 28, 2022, 03:36:21 pm »
Hello,

I don't see Augmented Voices and Augmented Piano to be new instruments. The difference from Augmented Strings seem to be the samples only.
We have one Augmented Instrument, which there now are 3 sample packs for.
I wonder why the sample packs simply are'nt released as soundpacks (preset + samples) instead of as instruments, even if the GUI instrument pictures are different.

In generel i don't like V-Collection is filled with more and more soundpacks and sample based instruments as a part of V-Collections price, no matter how good they can be.

To me it look like Arturia are on the way to go too far down the Native Instrument Komplete route, and that's imo bad.

Years ago i bought V-Collection because it was coded none sample based instrument emulations. It's not anymore. Now i don't know what it is.

What is V-Collection meant to be?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 03:38:00 pm by LBH »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: What is V-Collection meant to be?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 04:07:04 pm »
Well... according to Arturia:

A premium suite of professional software instruments ranging from modern hybrid synth engines to emulations of the most evocative instruments ever made, enhanced for today’s production workflow.

AFAIK it's the complete collection of their virtual instruments, and new single instruments that are developed gets rolled into the collection eventually. Augmented Strings and Voices are part of the current V-Collection, and I'd think Augmented Piano gets included in the next VC version.

If there's too much (and there is "too much" for me - I just can't relate to so many instruments), we can choose to only install our favourites. Seems reasonable to me :)

LBH

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 04:51:21 pm »
AFAIK it's the complete collection of their virtual instruments, and new single instruments that are developed gets rolled into the collection eventually. Augmented Strings and Voices are part of the current V-Collection, and I'd think Augmented Piano gets included in the next VC version.
Well - Pigments have been around for years and is'nt part of V-Collection.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 04:56:21 pm »
Ah, true that! It's the one exception though; I can't think of any others. But the definition of what the VC is still holds, even without Pigments, or...? At least, without Pigments it's a few percent less overwhelming, perhaps  :)

LBH

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 05:28:52 pm »
But the definition of what the VC is still holds, even without Pigments, or...? At least, without Pigments it's a few percent less overwhelming, perhaps  :)
No the definition does'nt hold.
A premium suite of professional software instruments ranging from modern hybrid synth engines to emulations of the most evocative instruments ever made, enhanced for today’s production workflow.
The Arturia description you quote here actually is the description i thought it was. It say "enhanced" and "emulations". And that for "the most evocative instruments ever made".

Please tell me why the Augmented instruments series fit into that, but Pigment does'nt?
To me it's not about having so many applications and soundpacks as possible in V-Collection.

As i asked - what's V-Collection meant to be? V-Collection is not what the description you qouted state anymore, as that's what i thought it was meant to be. But it's not that anymore.

Please read my first post again, and note i would think its' bad to go the Native Instrument Komplete road. It can turn  out to be very bad for Arturia, It's a friendly feedback.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 05:32:11 pm by LBH »

VoxFisa333

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 07:25:53 pm »
In music or any creative art. "meant to be" is almost meaningless. excepting build quality, there is no such thing as a bad instrument. The idea is best expressed by Tom Rhea's phrase in the Multimoog owner's nanual. "It's not 'what will this thing do?', but 'what can I do with it?'". About a decade ago, I was at the local Salvation Army thrift store and I saw waht looked like a thick-necked banjo. The neck was a solid cylinder about 16 long covered with carpetting in a repeating pattern. It had 3 strings and a headstock with friction tuning pegs. I picked it up and started fooling with it. In about 8 minutes I had it usably tuned and the sound wasn't bad. How many guys made "cigar box" guitars, mostly to have something that would handle somewhat like the real thing?

I would say that the V-Collection is what you make it. But that was the idea behind the synthesizer where you get the "parts" of the sound and then do your thing. I like the live play aspect. Analog Lab looks like it could be the heart of an "arranger keyboard' system with the right performance software, which, now that my eyesight is coming back, I hope to build. Most of these like the Casio WK, GEM Ensemble, Genos or whateve were computerized keyboards with limited computers to cater to the musician who might be a bit tech averse. What I want to do will be use the compter balls-to-the-wall with a powerful laptop. Ableton Live Lite gives you 8 audio and midi tracks for free and Analog Lab has over 5,000 patches from the V Collection that you can madify the parameters of. The Arturia Keyboards have controllers for the parameters that are mapped and transport controllers for the DAW, which, if it is live-performance capable has all the effects you want, all in a portable package. The Genos cost $5k. You could probably build something to blow it way off the stage for about 3 if you are not scared of gietting your hands tech dirty. A decetnl  yoga touchscreen laptop, if you look on ebay for "open box" or (and make sure it is just that) "FACTORY refurbished" can be had at a very good price; I've got a couple. And, when not playing live, you can get some of the older but once premium DAW's like t7, put them in the system and do some recording or Audacity and Linux Multimedia System (continuoiusly maintained for 34 years) can be used together in a complementary fashion (Audacity does not use plugin instruments and LMMS does not record externally but has instruments). Then there's always band in a box: THAT is unreal. If your SSD is too small, grab up a TB or so hcxd card "mount" it and multiply the the sisze of the SSD by putting a foulder for the card in the SSD. And who's to say you can't toss in Sfortzando or or other Aria SFZ/'SF2 engine for a sample-based drum machine

That is what the V Collection is for. And that's just me. Go through the extensive Arturia YouTube posts and see for yourself

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 08:21:59 pm »
I do get LBH's point of view.
At one point V Collection was all about pulling together Arturia's collection of synth and piano simulations into one package.
The commonality between them all is they used some kind of emulation technology that was quite processor intensive but incredibly low on the hard-drive real-estate because nothing was sample-based.
And it wasn't *just* the hard drive space: the emulation technology they used allowed Arturia software instruments to offer a flexibility of sounds and features which wasn't restrained by the same limitations of sample-based instruments.
Pigments started to blur the lines.
And now we've got the trio of Augmented instruments which are half samples and half coded synthesis.
For me, I was happier when Arturia concentrated fully on nailing the sound and experience of using classic analog and digital synths.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 08:56:47 pm »
I for one have absolutely ZERO interest in any of the Augmented instruments. Kontakt has that base covered, even tho I only have the player.
To me it "feels like" Arturia is simply trying to make V Collection updates appear to have more value. But these Augmented ... things. ... Meh. It's the cheap and easy path for software development. None of them are worth their asking price nor upgrade price, even with the current sale. NOPE.
Keep them to themselves and stick with emulations. It's what Arturia does best software-wise.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:59:35 pm by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 01:14:27 pm »
I for one have absolutely ZERO interest in any of the Augmented instruments. Kontakt has that base covered, even tho I only have the player.
Playing Devil's advocate, Arturia won't choose to 'not' do something just because that base is already covered by a competitor. But fundamentally I agree, I was happier when they concentrated more on improving their emulations of classics synths. It's doesn't seem to be a particularly bad accolade, had they built up a reputation for marketing THE absolute best classic synth emulations out there, instead of branching-out trying to compete with products like Serum and Kontact. Sure it widened their market, like making hardware synths when they launched the Brute series. But isn't it best to be remembered for being the best at one thing rather than jack of all trades? Probably their accountants would say 'no'.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

romelitzs

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 11:54:41 am »
 I can't think of any others. But the definition of what the VC is still holds, even without Pigments, or...? At least, without Pigments it's a few percent less overwhelming, perhaps  :)  panoramacharter.ltd

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:55:47 pm by romelitzs »

LBH

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 05:00:09 pm »
Perhaps this has to be said more direct.

My main point is, that the Augmented instruments is as little a part of V-Collection as Pigments. And also that the Augmented instruments really are only one instrument using different samples, so sample packs could be sold seperately just like presets are. Arturia do not allow users to use own samples in the Augmented Instrument.

What's the reason the Augmented intruments are in V-Collection but not Pigments? I see no valid argument for this. It look like instruments in V-Collection are being devalued by Arturia. It look like an easy cheap way to add a instrument to V-Collection, even if it actually is new samples and presets only.

Still keep in mind, i don't think multiple Augmented instruments belong in V-Collection. I would'nt mind one of them in there, that then could be exspanded by users who will buy sample packs that include presets seperately. Just like buying the excisting preset packs in the sound store.
It's fine to have Analog Lab for this too, and also for and extra tool.
I also don't think Pigments belong in V-Collection, but it's fine that Pigments presets that can be used in Analog Lab.

I don't like the product i purchased with emulations is getting to be something else, when i need to update the product i purchased. I absolute don't see the product description hold.
The Augmented instruments and Pigments has nothing to do with emulations at all. Not even in a gray zone. Both the Augmented instrument and Pigments are new developed software instruments. Not true emulations of hardware in any way. That's a point.

I also don't think V-Collection shall be overwhelming big filling it with none emulations instruments, soundpacks and presets.

I don't wan't V-Collection being filled with sample based instruments, when the product i purchased was about true emulations. I think V-Collection was and should still be meant to be true emulations.
I don't mind if Arturia wish to sell different collections/ product lines and combinations of those. In fact i think that should be the way to go.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines