March 29, 2024, 01:05:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Update, uninstall, install = CHAOS!  (Read 1379 times)

ErlKoniG

• Apprentice
Update, uninstall, install = CHAOS!
« on: September 17, 2022, 11:40:02 pm »
Hello. I am Arturia user from V collection 7. I just bought the update to 9. I have searched far and wide how to clean BEFORE installing and always found suggestions to uninstall individual tools. Among other things in a convoluted way. In the software center I find V collection 7, 8 and now 9 AND individual instruments attached. Result a total chaos in hard disk and a lot of space taken up.

Could it be that one cannot get rid of the ENTIRE previous V collections by returning a clean space to put the new versions in?

I bought an external HD hoping to bypass the problem, but no. It transferred everything (changing folders) and I find a sea of junk inside which I can't figure out what is to keep and what to at least hide.

Arturia writes two words and not even that clear...is it possible that such a giant doesn't provide a tool to uninstall old versions!!!?

In short, I am asking if you have any idea how to make it so that I ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY have V collection 9 without having to initialize the mac?

Thank you. Sorry, but I am quite annoyed-

LBH

Re: Update, uninstall, install = CHAOS!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 12:41:27 pm »
Hi,

I think a uninstall all option would be a good thing.
But it's actually normal removal like for any other programs. You can read about uninstalling Arturias software in FAQ.
You can also read about relocating Arturias software in FAQ.
It's possible to deactivate all software in ASC on a computer.

Also there is no need to uninstall a previous version. When you update then the old application is removed so to speak, as long as you install at the same location. If you upgrade to a new build version, then the new application will install alongside the old. That can be vital, as you perhaps can't use the new version instead of the old in a DAW project.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 12:58:06 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Update, uninstall, install = CHAOS!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 01:36:03 pm »
OP (EDIT: and @LarryHunter) you're misunderstanding how Arturia apps are installed. Allow me to explain.

Firstly you don't need to uninstall VC7/VC8 before installing VC9. There is no 'chaos'.

1....New versions of VSTs in VC9 that are directly compatible with the old versions in VC7/VC8 will install over the top of the old ones, replacing them on your drive.

2....There are older versions of some VSTs within VC7/VC8 which have been updated and replaced in VC9 with new versions that are incompatible with the previous versions, for example Piano V3, CS80V4 and the separate Prophet 5 and Prophet VS VSTs.  So Arturia leaves the old versions of these instruments installed for you, as well as the new ones, to prevent incompatibility issues with any existing projects that use them.

If Arturia deleted the old versions of the VSTs from your computer, you and other customers would then be complaining that (1) projects using the older VSTs don't work properly anymore, and (2) Arturia has illegitimately removed software from your computer which you legally purchased.

If you really want to get rid of your legacy installs and only see VC9 instruments, there are options in the Software Center to do so, which ideally you should have clicked before installing VC9. You could do it now (after installing VC9), but it might also uninstall some VC9 components (because they overlap) so I'd re-install VC9 directly afterwards using the Reinstall button, if you're going to choose that route.

But in reality you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:52:26 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines