April 19, 2024, 09:25:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Diminishing volume - how do I fix this?  (Read 772 times)

camannwordsmith

Diminishing volume - how do I fix this?
« on: October 13, 2022, 08:09:02 pm »
Hi, everyone. I've been recording through a DAW for a number of years now, but I'm primarily a guitarist - I'm not very familiar with MIDI. I bought an Akai MPC Mini a while back, which I used for very basic piano stuff. It worked great until last week, when two of the keys snapped (they're plastic and very thinly attached).

Wanting to prevent that in the future, I replaced it with an Arturia Keystep 32. I actually don't need most of what it does - I won't use the sequencer or even the transport. I picked it because everything I read said that the keybed was the highest quality you can get at this price point.

I'm using it in Studio One Artist 5. Downloaded the MIDI center, set everything up...sounds great, for the most part.

But whenever I play too many notes consecutively, something happens where around 4th note, they keep getting softer and softer (no matter how hard I play them), until they are completely inaudible. After it's gone through the octave, the cycle restarts.

I assumed this was an Aftertouch thing, and I tried changing all four of the Aftertouch options in the MIDI center. I tried changing the Velocity to Fixed. I tried lowering the Velocity, doing MIDI pass-through, and at least a dozen other things.

After several hours, I'm still nowhere. Obviously, I want there to be SOME velocity changes, but not to the point where you can't hear the notes. Whatever is happening seems to be triggered by a specific movement and only spirals down.

Any idea what's causing this and what I have to adjust to fix it?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 08:12:21 pm by camannwordsmith »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Diminishing volume - how do I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 01:41:16 pm »
Welcome.

What patches (sounds) are you playing with it? Some patches don't fully re-trigger unless you take your whole hand off the keyboard.
Make sure the sequencer on the KeyStep is turned off. The record/stop/play buttons are not transport controls in the conventional sense, they control the built in sequencer. This might be interfering with the midi signals sent to your computer.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines