April 19, 2024, 02:01:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KSP and Arturia VCollection integration  (Read 941 times)

psienide

KSP and Arturia VCollection integration
« on: October 06, 2022, 02:07:02 am »
Does no one use the KSP for Arturia's software synths or do we just not care that there is no native midi controller template for it?
Does arturia just not consider the KSP to be a controller keyboard suitable for their own VSTs?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: KSP and Arturia VCollection integration
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 12:25:19 pm »
Dumb question from a non-owner: do its sliders and controls actually send out midi messages like they do on the Keylab controllers? Certainly they do not on the regular KeyStep except for the play/stop/record buttons. If they do not, then that will be why.

If they do, then in lieu of a template already built into the V Collection apps, you should be able to use MIDI Learn functions to 'listen' to KSP controls.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

psienide

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 02:17:49 am »
Yes, they do in control mode. Pitch/mod sliders and 5 knobs.

It's easy enough to use MIDI Learn, but I would think if Arturia were serious about this as a potential controller for their products, they would have taken the time to template out the best workflow as they have done with the other controllers. I'd even argue that it's even more important for this controller to be mapped out in what arturia thinks is the most inspiring manner because there are limited controls.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 01:58:28 pm »
The way I see it, Arturia seems to like to differentiate between the devices built for controlling mostly external hardware and the devices built for controlling mostly software. The latter of which have profiles built into their V Collection synths.

I ended up buying a KeyStep because I wanted a small-profile keyboard to compliment my KeyLab 88, but it MUST have Aftertouch, not least for getting the best out of Arturia's own virtual synths, especially the CS80 which relies heavily on it. None of the MiniLabs have it, despite using basically the same keybed. Most of the features on the KeyStep I'll never use.

So my 'outsider looking in' understanding is, it's not that Arturia don't care, it's that these KeyStep products aren't primarily aimed at soft-synth users, so Arturia don't prioritise this task, and they would instead sway you towards a KeyLab if your workflows are software-synth centric.

In my case, if one of their MiniLabs had Aftertouch I wouldn't even own a KeyStep, because the MiniLabs have way-better integration with the Arturia software using the predefined templates.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 04:19:21 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 05:34:57 pm »
Hi,

Yes it look likew Arturia see at the Lab and Step controllers in 2 different ways.

But - Apart from Analog Lab, then Arturias lab controllers afaik only are premapped for preset browsing only. It's really not that much of a difference. One can wonder why it's not more. And yes they could just as well map the Step controllers too.

However - You say you have 5 controls pitchbend and modwheel. So even if the Lab controllers are mapped for more, then it's only a few controls to map.
Pitchbend and modwheel allready is assigned for certain things. So you only have 5 assignable knobs.
Unless you actually have forgot to mention you also have some midi CC buttons, then the 5 knobs would probably from Arturia would be used either for preset browsing so it's like the lab controllers - or mapped to use 4 knobs for Arturias 4 Macros available in all applications, and then perhaps for Master Volume in Analog Lab at least.
I will guess you thought the difference from the Lab models was more.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:41:59 pm by LBH »

psienide

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 08:27:56 pm »
This clears it up a bit. I had assumed that the lab controllers had all the knobs and sliders pre-mapped for efficient workflow. A bit disappointing that this is not the case, but it fits in the with the overall low-effort approach from Arturia.

As far as the dichotomy for controllers for hardware vs software synths - this is understandable, but the KSP does have a "control" mode which appears to be more geared for use as a controller for software synth workflows.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines