April 25, 2024, 10:06:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Improve the GUI method for assigning modulations, instead of having it separate  (Read 417 times)

wing

I absolutely love Pigments, and I've been using it a few years, but there's still one thing that drives me crazy which I think could be streamlined to be more intuitive. That is, when assigning modulations, I feel like most (software) synths allow you to assign it right from the modulation source itself.

For example, let's say you want to assign LFO1 to your filter cutoff. The way Pigments is designed, you have to go to the LFO tab to edit the source settings (waveform type, speed etc.) So right here on this pane, I wish I could drag something to filter cutoff immediately (see other synths' GUIs such as Serum, Massive, PhasePlant, Izotope Iris, UnfilteredAudio Lion, FAW Circle2, and many others). I find it far more intuitive to edit the source and assign it in the same location by dragging a little knob, "patch cable," or a drop down right there with assignment choices.

Instead, with Pigments, you have to then manually go to the modulation assignment tabs above. I am not suggesting you abolish these tabs, however, as they represent a bit of a mod matrix which can be useful for seeing multiple assignments in the same place. Also, I wish these modulation assignment tabs could either be hidden (on a separate UI page) or moved to the bottom. The reason being, when I'm in the flow, and I want to change the speed of one of my LFOs, I often click on the mod assignment tabs (LFO1 for example) and forget it's not there, I have to click below.

Some might be used to or okay with this, but I've been using synths for years and Pigments is the only one which trips me up in this way, so there's definitely something somewhat confusing to this UI design. And especially when I'm using different synths, remembering how Pigments does things differently can be a little disruptive to my flow.

I feel like Serum, Massive, and PhasePlant are among the most intuitive designs for this - when you're modifying your mod source, you can drag an icon which is right there to your destination. Super easy, super clear. And you still have access to a mod matrix to see it all in one place, too.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines