April 19, 2024, 04:23:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI CC 11, 27, 28, 29, 32, 38, 43, 44, 52, 53, 64 not functioning after mapping  (Read 1268 times)

codekiln

• Apprentice
I set use the MIDI Parameter Menu (3.4.2.5) to map Midi CC 11 or 27 to a parameter, incoming messages do not alter the sound or the visual display. 

The CS-80 V4 manual section 3.4.2.6 mentions that Pitch Bend, Aftertouch (Channel Pressure), and All Notes Off (CC #123) can't be remapped. As far as I know, Midi CC 11 or 27 do not correspond to any of these.

Can anyone else reproduce?  Are there any other CC values that people have noticed can't be mapped?

I'm running CS-80 V4 standalone on Mac.

I've determined that this is not related to my MIDI input method by using gbevin/SendMIDI https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI to send to a virtual midi port set up in Mac according to instructions here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774225-Setting-up-a-virtual-MIDI-bus.

Example - (my virtual port is called `cli`, which is set as a MIDI input source in CS-80 V4:
sendmidi dev cli cc 26 127 # mapped to VCF1 HPF Resonance - works!
sendmidi dev cli cc 27 127 # mapped to VCF1 LPF Cutoff - doesn't work
sendmidi dev cli cc 27 0 # also doesn't work

In addition, messages sent from my MIDI controller on CC 11 and 27 don't get through.

Is there a "debug mode" I can enter to see any log messages for CS-80 V4?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:33:59 am by codekiln »

LBH

Re: MIDI CC 11 and 27 not mappable
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 07:11:49 pm »
Hi,

Arturia could and should be more precise in the manuals about this.

Normally in example Modwheel midi CC#01 and Expression midi CC#11 is reserved and can't be used for midi learn. In generel it can be a good idea to avoid midi CCs that in generel midi is used for certain hardware controls.

Midi CC#11 is used for the EXP and WAH in CS-80 V4.
But midi CC#27 should work with MIDI learn.

If you are sure your controller output is working, and you can't get midi CC#27 to work, then i suggest you contact Arturia support.
But i find it's strange your midi CC#26 work and not midi CC#27. That does'nt point to Arturias application to be the issue, unless there is a speciel MAC issue.
I can assign midi CC#27 on Windows.

I'm on Windows. I don't know about your virual port and such. I believe MAC has a midi monitor to check midi outputs.

codekiln

• Apprentice
Re: MIDI CC 11, 27, 28, 29, 32, 38, 43, 44 not mappable
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 01:14:42 am »
I should have been clearer. I have no problem with performing the mapping, which I can do by using MIDI Parameter Menu (3.4.2.5) by entering the CC number with the keyboard. The problem is that the input of the mapped control doesn't have any effect on the mapped parameter.

I can map CCs 27, 28, 29, 32, 38, 43, 44, 52, 53, 64 to parameters, but incoming messages do nothing to the mapped control. In an empty MIDI mapping preset, MIDI CC 28 and 29 change the entire CS-80 preset. This isn't a hardware issue; I've replicated with Arturia MINILab mkII monitoring in Arturia Control Center, and using the CLI program sendmidi to send and CLI program receivemidi to monitor in a way that bypasses hardware. I suspect that 27 might be hardwired to "filter preset," and 28 and 29 are both mapped to some sort of change preset command, as I've seen similar functionality in Analog Lab, though I can't say I recall that those were the exact CCs.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:33:06 am by codekiln »

LBH

You say you have your virtual port CLI selected as input in CS-80 V4. So i assume you use CS-80 standalone application. Is that correct?
Why have you selected your Virtual port as input in CS-80 V4?

Do you use the MINILab MK2 controller you mention?
Have you selected your controller as input in CS-80 V4?
Beside the above input selection, then which MIDI Controller have you selected in the right panels Midi controller selector under the MIDI tab? Do you have the issue when selecting "Generic MIDI Controller"?
Does MINILab MK2 give a speciel midi CC configuration, when you select it as Controller in the right panel od CS-80 V? Some midi CC's can be used to control preset browsing, when the controller is chosen in the right panel.

I don't have an Arturia controller.

codekiln

• Apprentice
Re: MIDI CC 11, 27, 28, 29, 32, 38, 64 not functioning after mapping
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 02:58:37 pm »
So i assume you use CS-80 standalone application. Is that correct?
Yes

Do you use the MINILab MK2 controller you mention? Have you selected your controller as input in CS-80 V4?
Yes

Have you selected your controller as input in CS-80 V4?
Yes, the virtual port and the MiniLab Mk2 controllers are selected as MIDI inputs in the CS-80 standalone application using the Audio Midi Settings (3.2.1.7 in the manual).

Why have you selected your Virtual port as input in CS-80 V4?

In order to debug behaviors that I observed on the MINILab Mk2 controller, and to ensure that my particular hardware wasn't to blame.

Beside the above input selection, then which MIDI Controller have you selected in the right panels Midi controller selector under the MIDI tab?

Thanks for suggesting that the MIDI Controller selected in the MIDI tab might change the interpretation of the CC values. If I select Generic controller, then 27, 28 and 29 do the expected thing. If I select MiniLab mkII, then 28 and 29 select a preset. Perhaps that is what is alluded to as a "plug-and-play experience" in the documentation:

At the top right of the MIDI tab is a drop-down menu where you can select templates for many Arturia MIDI controllers. These map physical controls to many “most wanted” parameters in CS-80 V for a plug-and-play experience. A Generic template is also provided for third-party MIDI controllers.

With Generic controller, I'm still not able to have CC values 32, 38 or 64 affect named parameters. I hadn't considered marking my MiniLab MkII as a Generic Controller, this may open up some options.

I've attached the MIDI Config used for testing in the CS-80 V standalone application. I haven't tested CC values higher than 65 yet. My goal is to get 30 or so contiguous CC values I can use with my MiniLab MkII.

LBH

Re: MIDI CC 11, 27, 28, 29, 32, 38, 64 not functioning after mapping
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 03:59:41 pm »
At the top right of the MIDI tab is a drop-down menu where you can select templates for many Arturia MIDI controllers. These map physical controls to many “most wanted” parameters in CS-80 V for a plug-and-play experience. A Generic template is also provided for third-party MIDI controllers.

With Generic controller, I'm still not able to have CC values 32, 38 or 64 affect named parameters. I hadn't considered marking my MiniLab MkII as a Generic Controller, this may open up some options.

I've attached the MIDI Config used for testing in the CS-80 V standalone application. I haven't tested CC values higher than 65 yet. My goal is to get 30 or so contiguous CC values I can use with my MiniLab MkII.
Yes i think that's it.
That's okay if you just know which midi CC's that are used for preset browsing, and you wan't to use that. But you can just use Generic controller and then do your own mapping.

FYI:

Midi CC#64 is used for Sustain pedal.
Midi CC#32 is used for Bank select in some applications and hardware out  there.
Midi CC#38 can also be reserved for speciel Data Entry purpose.

If you take a generel Midi chart like this: https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/g1/jikak0l1euq5.pdf  - then i suggest you use the midi CC's that are green for things not related to the defined parameter the other midi CC's have.
The Generel purposes midi CC's are often used for things like macros as you also can see in your CS-80 where some are used in the default midi config.
You can also use the midi CC's that corespond well to synth parameters like the Cutoff, Resonance, Envelopes and so on. This you also can see in CS-80's default midi config. It's not that other things are'nt possible, but the defined parameters can be pre-mapped in different applications and hardware.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:08:07 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines