April 26, 2024, 04:05:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KSP with TR8S Issues  (Read 590 times)

mcarturia

KSP with TR8S Issues
« on: September 21, 2022, 06:00:59 pm »
Hi.  I'm a complete newbie at making music and DAWless setups hence the newbie questions, sorry! I recently bought myself a Roland TR8S and KSP.  I'd like to use the KSP to control and sequence the TR8S via MIDI.

So, I've connected the MIDI out of the KSP to the MIDI in of the TR8S and set both boxes to MIDI channel 10.  I then selected a kit and blank pattern in the TR8S and I can now play the kit drum sounds by using the keyboard of the KSP when in Drum mode. However, in Seq mode I can only play some of the TR8s sounds using the keyboard of the KSP.

Also, I'm unable to play back a pattern that I create using the KSP. As per some videos I've watched, I play a drum sound using the KSP keyboard then add that sound to the KSP sequencer via the sequencer pads. When I then try and play the pattern back the correct pads are lit up in the KSP but the pattern is silent.  The sequencer pads are also lighting up in the TR8S as the pattern is playing but again, it's silent.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The user manual for both boxes doesn't tell me much.

TIA

inmazevo

• Apprentice
Re: KSP with TR8S Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 09:36:21 pm »
My first thought is that you have configured 'Drum' to midi channel 10, but perhaps not Track 1 to midi channel 10.

Under the settings for MIDI output, you'll see track 1-4, and drum.
Drum default is 10.
Track1 default is 1.

Make sure Track1 is also set to 10.

As a quick test: select 'Drum' and hit some keys... should trigger your roland.
Then select Sequencer (also on track 1) and hit some keys. If it's silent, then it's likely not assigned to midi channel 10.

Hope this helps.

BTW:
The defaults for the tracks are:
Track 1: channel 1, sequencer; channel 10 drums
Track 2: channel 2
Track 3: channel 3
Track 4: channel 4

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines