March 28, 2024, 08:38:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Default MIDI mapping for CS-80 V4  (Read 1164 times)

codekiln

• Apprentice
Default MIDI mapping for CS-80 V4
« on: August 28, 2022, 12:30:02 pm »
I'd like to map most of the parameters in CS-80 V4 to my Novation Launchpad Pro custom controls or to my MiniLab MkII custom Midi Control Center presets.

I'm aware that the MIDI tab contains mappings for a few commonly used controls, however it doesn't display MIDI mappings for the majority of controls.

Is there a reference of all of the default midi mappings for CS80 v4, or will I need to use MIDI Learn to "train" each parameter manually? I was surprised that I couldn't find any such reference in the manual.

LBH

Re: Default MIDI mapping for CS-80 V4
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 12:44:02 pm »
Hi,

Have you read all the manual section "3.4.2. MIDI Tab" to section "3.4.2.5. MIDI Parameter Menu"?

I'm not sure what you mean by "reference", if this is'nt enough.

codekiln

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 01:14:36 am »
Yep, I've read all the manual section "3.4.2. MIDI Tab" to section "3.4.2.5. MIDI Parameter Menu". I know I can use the LEARN functionality and also know how to manually program mappings into the CS-80 V4. I was just hoping there was a spreadsheet or a table available that had a default midi mapping for each mappable item on the CS-80. At the very least, if there was a place listing the control names (in the menu listed in 3.4.2.5. Midi Parameter Menu) in a spreadsheet so I could create my own values, that would be helpful.

[UPDATE: I think the closest info I've seen to this is in a PDF provided by Frans Absil here - however, it doesn't include all parameter names, only the default mappings (which are only for a small subset of all mappable parameters). https://www.fransabsil.nl/htm/midi_arturia_v_collection_default_configuration.htm]

[UPDATE 2: writing some xslt should make it possible to extract a nearly complete list of parameters from `/Library/Arturia/CS-80\ V4/resources/CS-80\ V4.xml` at the Xpath `/rootnode/vst/block/param`]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:41:39 am by codekiln »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 04:44:41 pm »
There is more to mapping that just the link between hardware and software it self in Arturias applications.

If you click the "Add Control" button in the buttom of the MIDI tab in the sidepanel, then you get a popup that contain all the parameters you can map in CS-80 V4. I think it's more than 700 parameters.

I see the MIDI Config as your Speadsheet.
What you actually wan't is a MIDI Config that contain more than 700 parameters. You can build your own MIDI Configs. I have not tried to see if it can have that many parameters, but i assume it will. It's not possible to midi CC map that many parameters without using different midi channels as there only is 128 midi CCs per channel in MIDI 1.0, and many are allready reserved for certain parameters. It can be very diffecult if not impossible to work with, also depending on the possibilities a controller offer. I don't know if your Novation Launchpad Pro can do this.
Creating different MIDI Configs can be a better option.
Remember a MIDI Config contain others values than just the midi CC linking. That's Min and Max values.

I then understand that you for some reason don't wan't to use MIDI learn. (Why not?) - It's actually an easy way to map.
However - it is possible to type in the midi CCs in excisting mappings, if you wish. It is annoying you can't type, when you add a control - or select midi channel when using the above mentioned "Add Control" button. I consider that to be a bug.
It will make no sense for Arturia to create such a default MIDI Config. You would still have to set your controller to their mapping. It's easier to use MIDI learn and to create a MIDI Config yourself.

If you have read and understood the manual and tried things out, then i don't get your question. What you ask is possible, but it does'nt make sense for Arturia to make a factory MIDI Config with hundreds of parameters. It easier for you to create it yourself, and that's possible. So it's not like it's not possible allready - as it is. If it could be better is another question that's allways can be dicussed, but as i see it, then what you wan't is possible. But does it make sense? I don't think so.

I have a Novation SL MK2 controller. Then Novation used Automap. Such maps could contain pages of mappings for all available automation parameters in an application.
Some systems have been created for mapping. But it's not midi CC mappings.
The best way to make something similar is using multiple MIDI Configs.
Also keep in mind, that a MIDI Config only has to be created once. Then you can save it, and you can export it and back it up. But not current system, is completely future proof.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines