April 18, 2024, 02:41:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Essential or MKII?  (Read 603 times)

KnewBee

• Apprentice
Essential or MKII?
« on: August 25, 2022, 12:11:07 am »
I'm unsure what to buy and would really appreciate any help.

I was a (below average) drummer and guitarist back in the day but nowadays with no friends to play with I've tried to learn keyboards, and  I'd like to learn synths. However, I've only recently appreciated just how much there is to learn...

I've looked around and I'm close to settling on the Mk II, primarily because I like the idea of Analog Lab V to learn the presets, before maybe purchasing specific synth plug-ins if I want to explore more on any given one.

I originally thought the MkII 88 would be best as I prefer a "piano" style keypad over "synth" style but I'm now considering whether the Essential would suffice, given the price difference and my noob status - is the Mk II "worth it for someone who doesn't know what they're doing"?

Also, I've been using Cakewalk but most projects sounds cheap - will Analog Lab help with "better sounding" options than the free plug-ins available? I think the Mk II comes with additional plug-ins for Piano and Organ - are these worth it for noobs do you think? And are the other virtual instruments (cellos, bass, strings, brass etc) noticeably better than the free alternatives?

And does Arturia integrate well with Cakewalk? Should I be concerned there's no "magnetic overlay" for my DAW when there seems to be one for every other make?

Part of me feels I should buy the best that I can afford (88 MkIi) but part thinks I should try a cheaper alternative like the essential 61 (after all, it's the same software/sounds, right?)

I could then maybe use the rest of the budget on additional plug-ins, or maybe a new sound card or something, but as I say I'm just starting out and, due to my advancing years, have more money than sense in this regard!

What's the best way to work out the correct approach do you think?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Essential or MKII?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 02:09:03 pm »
If you don't need the bells and whistles the biggest difference between the two is the fact the Essential line don't have aftertouch.
That was a show-stopper for me when I was first looking for a controller, and is why I went on to buy a mk1 KL88 instead, which by that point was being heavily discounted because it had just been replaced by the MkII.

So so many patches in Logic, and even in Arturia plugins (especially CS80V) all only come to life with aftertouch.

Compatibility with your DAW...sadly I can't say. Obviously all the basic functions will work, but some of the sliders and controls might not map to logical equivalents on screen, it might be hit-n-miss.

Most territories offer a no quibble return option for online purchases, so you could always send it back if not satisfied.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

KnewBee

• Apprentice
Re: Essential or MKII?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 04:38:24 pm »
Thanks for your reply

Do you think a noob should worry about after touch so much? I'm unsure if it'll make a difference to me or if it's something that's best learned straight away too avoid a relearning curve later?

I was worried about the overall feel of the essential line but I'm starting to think I should maybe learn both the "synth" and "Piano" action?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines