April 23, 2024, 09:48:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Assign tracks to specific MIDI output  (Read 665 times)

inmazevo

• Apprentice
Assign tracks to specific MIDI output
« on: August 21, 2022, 02:23:00 pm »
Hello.
First post, and apologies if I'm just missing something silly.
I have read what I believe to be the relevant pages of the manual, as well as watched the videos on Arturia's site, plus a few youtube videos on connectivity.

I would like to assign a track to a specific mid out (#1 or #2).
I do NOT want to just assign a midi channel to the track and send it out of both midi outputs (which is as far as I can get it seems)... but the entire track. The keyboard's assignment functionality makes this quite simple for CV. But nothing for MIDI that I can find.

Am I incorrect that this has two dedicated MIDI outputs? It's behaving like one, 16-channel, split to two plugs. That's not the same thing at all.

Really thinking I'm missing something.

Thanks,
- zevo
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:24:35 pm by inmazevo »

tartpop

• Apprentice
Re: Assign tracks to specific MIDI output
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 05:50:35 pm »
Buddy, I WISH you were missing something.

I couldn't believe this functionality wasn't included on day 1.

I've still got mine, and have accepted all of its (many) baffling limitations, but yeah, no, yeah, it won't do that.

inmazevo

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 01:29:12 am »
Fascinating.
Glad I'm not that bad at reading manuals and watching the videos properly.

Thankfully I got it on clearance for cheap, so managing my expectations isn't so bad.
Won't use it as much now though, and I hope that doesn't turn in to: leave it on the desk for a few months, realize you're not using it, and off to the closet it goes.

The 'turn it on and go' idea is really: 'turn it on and go IF you're using this specific type of setup' --> I doubt I'll get in to the routine of 'turn it on and reconfigure your
external equipment and go' --> that makes me think of technology, and kills the music vibe pretty quickly for me. Got it specifically to NOT do that, and in turn hopefully use some hardware I've been ignoring for exactly that reason.

Probably should have asked first (well, I did, but the guitar center guy just said 'yeah, yeah, it's got two midi outs'), and the box says that, and my ancient RS7000 can send it's tracks to whichever (of the two advertised midi ports) I want, so.

Sigh. I still like it. But, sigh. Really? If it's a switch between hub and thru, this might not even be something they can add now with a firmware update. It might be 'wired' this way.
Thanks for clarifying my observation.

BigFknRobots

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 05:31:02 am »
I know, that would be so useful!

eg. my 15 year old Novation SL Mk1 can assign any control to either "Midi out1", "Midi out2", multiple "USB midi ports", or a range of combinations of these
It'd be especially useful with multitimbral sound modules, so they could still be set up for jamming on the keyboard ^and^ running it from your computer or other sequencing gear.

I have to turn parts off on my virus when I use my keystep but it would be great to just dedicated one of the keystep ports to that synth

inmazevo

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 12:12:06 pm »
Indeed it is the multitimbral  instruments that are the biggest issue.

It's funny how the 'shortcomings' of one piece of kit bring to light the shortcomings of another:
I can tell my silly little MC307 to ignore midi channel input for a given 'part' -- thereby making it work quite well with the KSP.
The Z1 works similarly, and I usually use it in single-channel mode anyway.
But the RS7000... nope. It's in multitimbral all the time, and I can't make it not listen (to external input; I can make it ignore it's own sequencer). So I have to mute it, which 'works' but can lead to voice-stealing depending on what I'm doing and how many things it 'hears' and tries to play. That's a limitation I didn't know it had: a sequencer that can ignore it's sequencer for tone generation, but not external sequencer input per channel. Sigh.

I wanted to use the RS7000, but I've put it back in the closet for now.
I'll stick with the MC307, which as a sound module doesn't suck as much as it does for what it was designed for (song in a box), and the Z1, which I love, and just.never.use. I don't even have to mute the MC in that setup, since it's 8-channel, and the Z1 is 1-4, depending.

Guess I'm in business. Some minimalism might be good for a change. Get away from the stifling 'too many choices' routine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 12:17:21 pm by inmazevo »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines