March 28, 2024, 02:47:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MINILAB WITH REASON  (Read 34898 times)

Eyetoof

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MINILAB WITH REASON
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 06:31:41 am »
Here is a bit of an update, though I am still waiting to hear if a real MK2 template will be attainable. 

I found that if i try to use the Minilab template or run my MK2 so its seen by Reason as a minilab 1 it never works well.  I did much better when I just deleted and started over adding the MK2 as a generic keyboard with controls.  Then I found my cc messages came through exactly as I had programmed them in MCC.

So, what I do to take advantage of that is use a rackextension called Mod 8.  https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/modpanel8-cv-control-board/ . This is basically a set of dials in reason that i can then wire to any cv input I want.  I use the back of whatever device I want to control, and put it in a combinator so I can get at the parameters that are not exposed on the back of the unit.

The key cool factor of this approach is I can just set up the cc messages as I know are expected by the dials on the mod 8 panel.  So for any mod 8 panel I create my MK2 is already sending the correct messages. 

I use the advanced midi system of busses, so that what ever channel I choose on my MK2 its going to the right Mod 8 unit in reason.  So I can live jump to different reason synths just by choosing the Midi channel on the MK2.

This is all groovey however it is also I admit a bit cumbersome to maintain.  I wish there was clearer documentation or simple user friendly Remote template creation.  I watched a few vids on hacking remote templates and thought I got it but really did not :).

Up shot of this post is I guess, the template for minilab really doesn't work with MK 2 and if there is an MK 2 template to be had that would sure save me a lot of headache....

I do look forward to all thoughts and comments.  I know this is a good unit, and mostly the limitations currently are my own knowledge.

Thanks!

- Stefan

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 10:07:45 am »
Hi Eyetoof,

Those codecs are made only for the MiniLab 1.
You need to upload a template with the MidiControlCenter to make the MiniLab 1 work with Reason. (please check the pdf)

What you can do is create your own memory template with the MidiControlCenter.

I hope it helps.
Best
Ben

.......testing.......

Eyetoof

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 09:09:46 pm »
Ben -

Hello and thank you for following up.

When I tried to import the Minilab Codec to MCC it just would not work.  Should it? or maybe i did not understand?

you wrote "What you can do is create your own memory template with the MidiControlCenter."  So I did connect to the MK2 with MCC and programmed my CC numbers etc.  Are you just referring to that? or is that some how exportable as a codec that reason can use?  One that is specific to MK2.

-----  I DID find a fix of sorts . --------------

I used the midicodec system, older method not requiring Lua knowledge.  I just hacked the Generic Keyboard with Controls template. Made copies and added manufacturer name and device title.

It ends up just seeing the MK2 as a what ever CCs I program in MCC.
I then have just hacked the template to matchup parameters to the knobs.

its still a bit unreliable.  Would be great to get the official version of things but it seems no one is in a big rush to support this.  So this will have to do for now.

danny_f

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 06:47:12 pm »
I just got my MiniLab and have been working with MCC.  F**ing Annoyed.

When I tried to import the "MiniLab-Reason.minilab" it was greyed out and would not load.  >:( Not only that but why is the MMC calling up pre-retina apple UI. The pop up window to locate the file looks pixelated and not even part of the MAC OS. What the heck is up with that?????

I see another user was having same issue.

Also, the knobs don't work in smooth transitions. Looks like midi is delayed and all over the place.
For example, assign knob 2 ( or other ) to map the synth cutoff.

I turn the knob. Sometimes it 'works' as in not usable for smooth transitions. It steps up in seemingly random ways. Never a smooth 0-127 value. Always sporadic and unusable.

I tested with MIDI Monitor and each knob does work correctly in smooth 0-127 values. I also tested with another synth application Minimonsta and was also able to get smooth transitions with the same knob.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:43:03 pm by danny_f »

tomjebo

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2022, 09:02:47 pm »
I recently bought the Arturia Minilab MkII and am trying to use it with the Reason 12 DAW including transport, fader, knobs etc... control. I tried the link in this thread (I know the thread is 8 years old) but the link doesn't work for me. The zip file doesn't download. I searched and found the FTP site but I don't have an account with permission to download the zip file for the Reason codec.
Can someone point me to a location I can get this codec? Is it still valid with current Reason versions?

Original link: http://downloads.arturia.com/downloads/minilab/MINILAB_REASON_Codec.zip
FTP link: ftp://ftp.arturia.net/pub/minilab/MINILAB_REASON_Codec.zip

Thanks,
Tom

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines