April 20, 2024, 10:25:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Exported presets 4MB file size when no custom samples used  (Read 917 times)

jnicol

• Apprentice
Exported presets 4MB file size when no custom samples used
« on: August 09, 2022, 01:36:07 am »
I have noticed that any exported presets are at least 4.2MB in file size, even when the preset does not have any custom embedded samples.

This applies to Pigments 3.7.1 (current latest version)

This can be reproduced by creating a new init preset (click hamburger icon -> New Preset), setting both engines to Analog and disabling the Utility engine so that no samples are used, and exporting the preset (click hamburger icon -> Export -> Export Preset).

I have noticed that some third party soundsets contain .pgtx files that have file sizes of only a couple of hundred kilobytes, and that is what I would expect when a preset does not make use of any samples or wavetables.

My guess is that the Utility engine is responsible for the file size ballooning, since although it is possible to disable the engine, it is not possible to set the two noise waveforms to "empty". My suspicion is that those two waveforms are embedded in the exported preset. I have tested this by choosing 2x different noise waveforms, and the file size does indeed change.

The actual preset saved on disk (i.e. in the user presets folder) is about 110KB, it is only the exported .pgtx file that is bloated. And when a bloated preset is imported, it is once again about 110KB.

So my question: is it possible to export presets/banks that do NOT include those unnecessary samples, and therefore have a smaller file size?

This is of interest to me because because I design commercial soundsets, and I would prefer to offer my customers the smallest download possible, rather than a 500MB+ bank.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:48:13 am by jnicol »

jnicol

• Apprentice
Re: Exported presets 4MB file size when no custom samples used
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 09:39:32 pm »
I followed this up with Arturia support:

I have made some tests and indeed Pigments file size is almost 4.2 MB without using wavetables or samples. 

Unfortunately, it is not possible to reduce the file size, so I will log this as a request with our Dev Team and will link your ticket so you'll get notified if any improvements are made in that direction.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 10:26:48 pm »
Hi,

Great you have reported it to Arturia support.

Look like any samples will be saved no matter you activate the modules or not.

A solution could be to have all sample modules have a NONE settings where no samples where loaded, and that should be the default setting.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:36:42 pm by LBH »

jnicol

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 10:41:01 pm »
A solution could be to have all sample modules have a NONE settings where no samples where loaded, and that should be the default setting.

That would be perfect.

I did some further experiments, and was able to get the preset size down to 113KB by importing my own very small "silence.wav" sample to each of the Sample modules and the two Noise modules.

For my purposes that is good enough, but hopefully this is something that Arturia will address in future.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:52:51 pm by jnicol »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines